• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flooding?

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I'm dealing with an '88 XJ (son's jeep) with the 4.0 Renix motor. It has exhibited a habit of flooding lately (starts initially, then stalls at a light and won't restart). At least I think it's flooded...smell of gas, won't start warm, etc.

Anyway...I'm thinking TPS, since it didn't test according to the Chilton's manual. Fine disconnected (got 4.9 v)...but did't give the 0.8 v when connected and throttle plate closed (was 0.08 v to 0.15 v, depending on adjustment).

I checked the other obvious electrical issues..spark plugs, distributer, etc. Do you think it's the TPS? Just looking for an opinion before spending the $$.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

Chuck (Flyfisher)

I have a '90 w/ the same Renix motor. It sounds to me like we are having the same problem. Starts just fine idles for a few minutes, give it some gas and it starts to idle really low and craps out, except mine I can restart it in about 10 sec and it will start up and rev really high for about 10 sec before returning to a normal idle. It has happened at multiple red lights as well. I replaced the TSP adjusted it to the specs and it did not seem to do the trick so I am still trying to figure this one out.

Anybody out there that can help us please do and thanks.

Chris

My daughter's 1990 Renix 4.0 did that- dies when warm and come to an idle, usually will restart right away, sometimes hard to restart. Changing the Crankshaft Position Sensor fixed it. If your TPS is going on a Renix 4.0, you get an erratic high idle (at least on both my and my daughter's 1990s). If the EGR fails and sticks open, you will get a very depressed idle, wanting to stall at low RPM, but it will run perfectly once you raise the RPMs.
You have the option of getting a high altitiude CPS from the dealer- it advances the timing a bit for more power. Since you have a knock sensor, that isn't a worry. If you still get an occasional stall, then you may need the 'direct connect' kit, which gives you a simple harness to wire the CPS directly to the ECU, bypassing corrosion and resistance in the factory wiring harness. The CPS with kit may be cheaper than the CPS alone- weird- worth checking.

Back