• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest way to get 8" in the rear of an XJ

BIG_BLAZER86

NAXJA Forum User
MY buddy is trynig to get around 8"(7.5"-8") in the rear of his 90 XJ with leaf springs. He already has teraflex revolvers, and 2" blocks. Keep in mind CHEAP.

you cant do 8" cheap, what does he have now and what is he doing about the front

Add more leaves until you get the amount of lift that you want. Get a couple of junkyard leaf packs, or a friends discarded stock spring pack, and start adding leaves. Cheap......and the extra leaves will help resist spring wrap.

Goatman said:
Add more leaves until you get the amount of lift that you want. Get a couple of junkyard leaf packs, or a friends discarded stock spring pack, and start adding leaves. Cheap......and the extra leaves will help resist spring wrap.

I agree with that....but I say for your buddy to get rid of those blocks he has.

how much do the shackles give??? use dakota leaves with the 2" blocks should put you up to 6-6.5"...your going to need a lot of tcase drop...IIRC you can put 1.5" drop with out messing up the linkage

what size tire is he planning on??? you could probably use 3" blocks in the back and make some sort of wrap control bar although I've never seen dakota leaves wrap on a xj. 3" blocks are a lot of leverage

BIG_BLAZER86 said:
If you keep adding leaves, doesn't that take away some flex.

You said 8" cheap.....now you want flex? :)

You only have three ways to increase lift, and two of them have real limits. Longer shackles, blocks, or taller leaf springs. I assume you already have longer shackles (if not, get them, but you have to buy them), you already have 2" blocks, so you're left with taller leaf springs. If you don't want to spend money for new springs, then the only choice is to add leaves to the springs that you have........this isn't rocket science, you know.

I'd have said to add a taller block, but you already have 2" blocks, and I'm assuming that since you're on the cheap that you don't have a traction bar, so the 2" blocks are already giving you spring wrap which will eventually take out a pinion yoke or bearing, and/or collapse your leaf springs. So, my advice is to add some leaves which will stiffen the ride, but will help resist spring wrap.

If you make sure you keep the plastic pads on the end of the springs, you'll have better flex than you think you will......but really, you have no choice. Now, if you're willing to spend even a little money, and some time, you can have it all.

Gte some really long U-bolts and keep stacking block until you get the height you want....Then remove the rear drive shaft and convert to front wheel drive only. You can probably even sell the driveshaft and make back some of the money you spent on those custom u-bolts.

i think far and away the best way for big/cheap lift in an XJ rear is inboarding the leafs which will give you 4 or 5 inches, then add leaves from other, more arched, packs for more lift and increasing the spring-rate so it isn't too tippy with the inboarded leafs.

Back