• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's got 4.0/Stroker valvetrain noise w/Comp or Crane cam?

FUNKYTEE5

NAXJA Forum User
I have been hearing about guys getting valvetrain noise after doing a cam swap or building a new stroker with a Comp or Crane cam. I was just messin with some calipers on a stock HO cam (not worn) and a new comp 68-232-4 cam and the base circles are .050 smaller on the Comp. The HO mic's to 1.430 base and the Comp's base mic's to 1.380. I can't figure out why they'd do this unless they just figured that the valvetrain is adjustable or they wanted to save material? That .050 pretty much gives you .025 less lifter preload with the factory setup and makes stuff sloppy. I think that is one of the main sources of the valve/rocker noise with Comp, not sure about the Crane? They should run quiet.

FUNKYTEE5

Last edited:
You know, we have a performance forum for the engine mod and go fast topics. That's where the guys who know this kind of stuff hang out.....

I think the relevant question is whos stroker doesn't have some degree of valvetrain noise? I have a little from mine but it seems to be related to oil viscosity (thiner oil, more noise).
The change in lifter preload isn't enough to cause significant valvetrain noise. The range of tolerance is 0.020-0.060". The most likely reason, as I've found out, is that the noise is due to the much higher rate of lobe lift of the CompCams compared to the OEM unit. The Crane's rate of lift is also higher than the OEM's but not as high as the CompCams.
AFAIK, this does not affect reliability so I guess we just have to live with it.

More power from a stroker but it'll make it noisier?!!

Dang!

Time for more speaker amps!

:D

I am running the Crane cam. It isn't the stroker part that makes the valves more noisy, its the fact that the cam has significantly more lift.

Back