• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BOR Alcans.....Whats the Real Deal?

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright so all I have ever heard about these packs is they are stiff as hell, don't run 'em. But I don't think I've actually heard anything from people who actually run them. I am looking at the 6" packs with rubber bushings, not a fan of poly. How hard do these things really ride? They are going on a mostly DD rig, so I am trying to keep things as smooth as possible. My only experience is with R.E. products, I'm trying to broaden my horizons here. I understand that it's a lifted rig, and it's not gonna ride like a cadillac. But it's my third one, so I know the right parts can help make it what I want it to be.

John John, I know the rules in place forbid you from replying here. But feel free to send me a pm anytime..................:cheers:

i just got a set of the 4 inch they are a bit stiff. not to bad i had the re springs but when i went wheeling i couldnt carry anything heavy. i have only had the bor spring in for a few weeks and at this point i would order another set if i build a new rig. they do sit a bit higher i think i need to get new shocks

massxj said:
i just got a set of the 4 inch they are a bit stiff. not to bad i had the re springs but when i went wheeling i couldnt carry anything heavy. i have only had the bor spring in for a few weeks and at this point i would order another set if i build a new rig. they do sit a bit higher i think i need to get new shocks

Well they are made to the weight of an XJ plus 350 lbs. So if you don't have a lot of gear and bumpers. They'll sit about 1.5" taller........... :lecture:

Fergie said:
Search!

I asked the same question a few months ago....jeeeeez.

Fergie
and you didnt search then? what the hell is wrong with you

Fergie said:
Search!

I asked the same question a few months ago....jeeeeez.

Fergie

Quit being lazy and search for me, what are you thinking............. :laugh3:

Edit: Your YEAR OLD post was inconclusive. I am so sick of this rig and it's not even lifted yet..........:puke:...........I just HAD to have a 2 door didn't I?

Last edited:
MODERATORS: Delete this if you like...However this question has been asked a lot and I think the info is useful, but you judge.

They are stiff at first. They need to be worked over a bit before they WILL flex. Here is MY bottom line on leafs. MOST flexy leaf packs have a short life span. MOST stiffer leaf packs last longer. These are kind of somewhere in the middle, but more to the stiff side AT FIRST. They are made to carry weight, carrying weight will help them flex better in the long run...better break in.

I don't recomend taking them to Moab the weekend after you install them as Beezil did a few years ago, and I did last year. They need a good 4-6 trips to break them in.

There are quite a few NAXJA members that run them, and have run them for more then three years.

PS: the BOR design IS different that the standard Alcan XJ leafs.

The main problem with J.J.'s leaf is peaple run them with too short of a shackle. I say get the next size dowm and run them with a chevy lowering shackle. thats what I used to run the his 8's
Led

I run the 6" packs with a modified lift shackle (made into a boomarang).

I have to say this,

My Jeep rides like crap. But it is a Jeep after all, with 6+ inches of lift, I expect no less.

I don't know if the rear leafs flex well or not but the Jeep works great. I was recommended to not go with these springs but do not regret it at all. They have been great, no sag. I tow a 3000lb camper, and a car trailer totalling over 5k lbs and these springs are still in great shape. Unless I go bigger I will likely never have to replace them. I doubt any spring would ride much better at 6+ inches but I have never tired anything else. I think a long arm kit would make way more difference in ride quality for me than a softer rear spring.

If you want a good ride do like I did and Get a VW.

B-loose

I just got my 7" alcans that I ordered direct from alcan. Until reading JJ's post, I didn't realize they were different than BOR's

The arch on these things is huge. I figured they were going to be stiff as hell.

I installed them about 4 runs ago, and I have to say I like them.

I got at least 7" lift from them, and probably closer to 8+" . They are WAY long, though. I tried to run a boomerang shackle, but didn't get the travel I wanted, which kept them from flexing. I ended up putting a 1.75" teraflex shackle on. I had to trim the hell out of the back of the shackle boxes to allow the shackle to move. Now that they are able to move through the range of travel, they work great. I can stuuf my 35's no problem. They also give mad droop, I think because of the naturally big arch.

I did have to add clamps to the back end of the leafs, as the were opening up BAD on steep climbs. It helped considerably. They don't open up now, which is a good thing. Less droop, but pretty much the same flex.

I never thought I could get that much lift from a leaf spring, and still have them flex.

Rick

I am running the 4" BOR's and love them. Yes they run a bit high and without the correct shackles, they can be a bit on the stiff side. With 35's, I want it a bit stiff. I am running a stroker and wrapped a Rusty's spring set the first time out. The BOR's have almost two years on them and I couldn't ask for anything better. I think for most people they should be called 5" and with the longer shackles to allow the spring to flex, they end up around 6". You need a dogleg shackle to clear the sheetmetal.

Been running the 6" springs about 6 months and love them. Initially they were a little stiff but softened up after several good trail runs. No, they don't ride like a Cadillac but increased stiffness is perfectly acceptable to me. Running with some weight in the back also makes a big difference vs. unloaded. They are designed to work with additional weight of gear so running them with no weight makes the ride stiffer. That's from experience. Flex is good after break in as long as a longer shackle is used as Led already pointed out. I run MJ shackles which seem to work fine. I've experienced zero axle wrap and they are very predictable. Running the rocky southwest trails, I like the fact that they don't unload or allow the body to sway unpredictably.

Bottom line, I think the springs offer a good balance of ride quality, flex, longevity, control, and weight handling for my use.

This is the feedback I was looking for. And thanks Tom, I know you have posted the exact same thing on 3 threads now. Wanted your input again as well as others. I think this has shed alot better light on the " they are stiff don't get them" line..............:cheers:

Just installed my 4" packs yesterday, and I'm lovin em. Yea they are kinda bouncy, but they'll settle nicely once I go run with them a few times. I have no complaints, and I have to say thanks to Johnjohn for the great products he sells.

Hey DJ..

I've personally driven John John's rig on the road... it rides just fine. You know how picky I am with my rig.. i spend too much time and money on my rig to settle for anything less than great. Given that, I wouldn't hesitate to run John's leafs at all.

formatt said:
Hey DJ..

I've personally driven John John's rig on the road... it rides just fine. You know how picky I am with my rig.. i spend too much time and money on my rig to settle for anything less than great. Given that, I wouldn't hesitate to run John's leafs at all.

If I wanted your opinion.............. :laugh3:

J/K Between you , Tom, Led, and John John I think i've made up my mind......... :us:

Back