• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust heat???

trailbuilt

NAXJA Forum User
I have 94 xj, I have a flowmaster muffler on it.I just removed my carpet...God damn the floor apove the muffler is hot, it will sizzle water ....I am going to get some heat sheild from summit racing and put in on the under side of the floor. Dose this sound normal??

trailbuilt said:
I have 94 xj, I have a flowmaster muffler on it.I just removed my carpet...God damn the floor apove the muffler is hot, it will sizzle water ....I am going to get some heat sheild from summit racing and put in on the under side of the floor. Dose this sound normal??

Totally normal, I think most carpet has a thicker part right there for that very reason......... :lecture:

my flowmaster got thumped on a rock one two many times and started rubbing the floor, on my way home from wheelin it actually rubbed a small hole through the floor melted the carpet padding and the carpet went up in smoke. I got it pulled over pretty quick when the cab filled with smoke and i dumped my cooler on it :gag:

I had the extinguisher handy but the cooler was quicker.

I've seen the floor burnt up on XJ's in the junkyard due to the cat being installed upside down or being too close to the floor. A Burning floor would suck.

yes i have herculined my interior after removing the carpet and my floot still is hot... install the heat shield above your muffler and cat too...this should help some but my tranny keeps my right leg warm all the time! When it rains it fogs my interior up in about 2 minutes... just somthing you have to live with with no insulation...

97 + XJ's have a screw-on heatshields above the muffler, I installed one on my 89 and my Flowmaster doesn't warm the interior any more. Also, make sure you have at least 1" of clearance between the muffler and the heatshield.

The heat above the muffler does WONDERFUL things for accelerating RUST as well...

fe3o4a.JPG

fe3o4c.JPG

Hey! Thas exactly what mine looked like before I started cutting. I ended up making a frame of some 2" tube I had laying around and raised the floor above the muffler/cat. I haven't had it out of the garage yet to see if it has changed anything heat wise, but at least the rattle is gone now.

Those pics bring back some memories! The muffler shop put a heat shield on my flowmaster and I bolted another to the underside of my XJ for goodmeasure. I havent had a problem with the Cat yet thank goodness.

robs said:
I've had a problem ABOVE the cat too...

fe3o4g.JPG
In addition to the heat shields on the 97+ XJ which only deal with the muffler, the ZJ also has a pre-formed piece for protecting the area in the above photo.

Back