• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Paid $885 for new clutch & throw bearing......

wave97

NAXJA Forum User
Received my '93 4.0 AX15 back from the shop after replacing a leaking throw bearing and installing a new clutch. I no longer can shift into 4 wheel drive Low & the 4wd indicator light is not functioning, It grinds getting into reverse once the engine is hot.
What's up with the 4wd low? (NP232 T-CASE)
Is the 4 wd dash light indicator an easy fix?
Is it normal to grind the gears on a new clutch?

I'm heading back to the transmission shop on tuesday so any info you can pass along will help.

The throwout bearing (internal slave cyl) may have not been bled completely as the clutch isin't disengaging. Is grinding still if you put it into first then wait a couple seconds for it to spin down before reversing??? Did they leave anything obviously disconnected when they reinstalled the mated tranny/tcase (wiring to switch controlling light, linkage, vaccuum line)??? Still $900 sounds high even w/ the extra hydraulic throwout bearing. I got mine done (external slave model) for around half that inc. parts & flywheel polish. Of course one of my best friends since jr high, well his dad runs the shop so thats not exactly a fair estimate.

that better not be a stock clutch, better be one of those fancypants cennterforce setups or somecrap.....but still almost a grand? jeeze.....and its got problems, who did this to you?

Storydude said:
X3. I just did the clutch in my MJ for under 200 bucks.

Ditto. I did mine for 175. All new parts included. Sounds like the slave isnt bled, the linkage for the t-case got all wacked out, and maybe a couple plugs were left hanging. Bum deal.

FUNKYTEE5 said:
Ditto. I did mine for 175. All new parts included. Sounds like the slave isnt bled, the linkage for the t-case got all wacked out, and maybe a couple plugs were left hanging. Bum deal.

Sounds like you guys did it yourself. He took it to a shop and I can't remember how much labor it requires but it seems like a few hours.

When I had mine done I spent around $700+...but it worked great when I got it back ;) Wave should take it back to them and make them make it right. They do test drives for a reason.

rumblebelly said:
Sounds like you guys did it yourself. He took it to a shop and I can't remember how much labor it requires but it seems like a few hours.

When I had mine done I spent around $700+...but it worked great when I got it back ;) Wave should take it back to them and make them make it right. They do test drives for a reason.

X2

When you do most of your own work you tend to forget that having something done usually costs some bucks. The price seems high, but that depends on the area. Either way, take it back and explane that you have some issues and they should take care of it for you.

BTW...My clutch is going again, I have replaced the slave or clutch 6 times in the past 15 years....this time I will have it done.

Rev

Back