• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reman-transmission...wtf?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm waiting on a call from man-trans about the ax 15 I ordered on ebay last night.I talked to a woman a few minuets ago and she said that I might have to pay extra because I'm not shipping back a ax15.Instead I'm exchanging a peaugot ba10/5.......wtf?

The fine print in the auction never said anythng about paying extra, and if that's how they want to play it they should give me a discount because the peaugot sells for more money.

What do you guys think?

Core mismatch - it's common to charge a little extra for a core on things like this when the core isn't a worn-out version of the part being shipped. If there's a core charge listed, this is a possibility and is perfectly legal (and is known in the industry - just not by most customers.)

The Peugeot may sell for more, but it doesn't sell as many, so they're stuck with an unpopular box in exchange for the popular one they're shipping out. That, and reman parts for the Peugeot cose rather more than for the AX15 (or pretty much anything else out of the Heavy Truck segment, for that matter,) so they're either going to have to A) store the thing until they get a paid order, and rebuild it then, or B) take a loss on the thing and scrap it.

Either way, they probably don't stand to make as much with the BA-10/5 as they would with another AX15.

While we're on the subject, you'd probably have had to pay a "core surcharge" (that's what this is) if you were sending back an AX4 or AX5 - just not as much. Those two boxes move a little more than the BA-10/5, so they're not as "stuck" with those as they are with the Peugeot.

How much is the listed core, and how much is the surcharge they're hitting you with? It shouldn't be the FULL core charge (they're getting a buildable something back, anyhow,) but they're well within their rights - and the law - to charge you for a mismatched core on something like this. (I know you probably didn't want to hear that, but there it is...)

5-90

That's what I was thinking in the back of my mind.I got another call just now and the guy said I would have to pay 250.00 extra (non refundable)on top of the 350.00 core.....I said yea right and stated "it's a good thing I have a ax15 in my shed I'll send ya".
Damn now I have to go out there and put it back together.....That's what I was trying to avoid!!!Oh well so much for keeping the ax for spare parts and unloading the peaugot.Anyone need a peaugot????

Last edited:
They're going to tear the core to bits anyhow - you might want to ask if they care if it's assembled or not (since they're going to tear it to bits anyhow...) As long as it's complete, it shouldn't be a big problem for them.

The overcharge is odd tho - usually, you either get a partial core refund or none at all - you don't get drilled extra for something like that. At least, not that I've heard of. $350 isn't excessive for a manual transmission core (I've seen a few upwards of $500, no problem!) but it sounds like they're trying to get a total of $600 out of you for not returning a core. Ouch.

The only fit thing I've found the BA-10/5 for when it's worn out is the scrap bin - I put the steel shafts and gears (the ones I don't keep for tooling) in the city pickup bin, and all the aluminum goes in the aluminum "money" bin (I make some hobby and gas money with scrap metal - stainless, copper, bronze, brass, aluminum - it's not a lot, but it's made the difference from time to time. Plain steel isn't worth the fuel to haul it in!)

Remind me not to deal with this outfit when I get rid of my next Peugeot gearbox... I'd sooner get a builder NV3500/3550 and sort it out myself anyhow.

5-90

5-90 said:
The only fit thing I've found the BA-10/5 for when it's worn out is the scrap bin - I put the steel shafts and gears (the ones I don't keep for tooling) in the city pickup bin, and all the aluminum goes in the aluminum "money" bin (I make some hobby and gas money with scrap metal - stainless, copper, bronze, brass, aluminum - it's not a lot, but it's made the difference from time to time. Plain steel isn't worth the fuel to haul it in!)

5-90

Start looking for Stainless. It's around .85 a Lb around here.

I took back 400 Lbs about 2 weeks ago....$$$$$$$$$ was nice.

Hey - I know what you mean. A few years ago I had a "strip and salvage" job. One building netted about 12,000# of #2 copper pipe, 400# of stainless tubing (from a cryogenic nitrogen system) and about 9500# of data and telephone wire. The money from that paid off one truck, made a big IRS payment that was vexing me, and left a bunch for the two of us to go away for a week-end. I wish I could get more jobs like that - it was work, but just the money from the material was great!

5-90

I have a hook up at a machine shop here in town.....The guy gives me the drops from the lathe.....2-4" Round stock, 6-10 inches in dia. 10-30 Lbs each. The scrap guy LOVES to see me pull up.

5-90 said:
They're going to tear the core to bits anyhow - you might want to ask if they care if it's assembled or not (since they're going to tear it to bits anyhow...) As long as it's complete, it shouldn't be a big problem for them.

The overcharge is odd tho - usually, you either get a partial core refund or none at all - you don't get drilled extra for something like that. At least, not that I've heard of. $350 isn't excessive for a manual transmission core (I've seen a few upwards of $500, no problem!) but it sounds like they're trying to get a total of $600 out of you for not returning a core. Ouch.

Remind me not to deal with this outfit when I get rid of my next Peugeot gearbox... I'd sooner get a builder NV3500/3550 and sort it out myself anyhow.

5-90
Nope he also stated there will be a 100.00 non assembled fee.Oh well everything works out good in the long run because luckily I have a used ax I can send them,otherwise I'd be pissed!They seem like a good company...100%positive feed back, so far the customer service is friendly and knowledgeable.

He even asked if I was going external slave and set up the trans. with the right (external slave) front bearing retainer,which saved me some cash.Now I need a bell housing,shifter and parts to do the external swap and I'll be good to go...Don't want to get too technical about it because this is'nt modified tech. forum

Back