• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over Head Console Transplant

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know there is a million posts on here about the over head console, but none have all the information in one. Information I'm having trouble finding is if the wires are already there. If anyone has any write ups or pictures on this install, please let me know. My 97 XJ will be geting one soon, as soon as I learn how and find a doner vehicle!

ChandlerXJ said:
I know there is a million posts on here about the over head console, but none have all the information in one. Information I'm having trouble finding is if the wires are already there. If anyone has any write ups or pictures on this install, please let me know. My 97 XJ will be geting one soon, as soon as I learn how and find a doner vehicle!

OK, so you didn't search because there are no threads that contain all the answers your looking for, but the only question you're asking is if the wires are already there?
rolleyes.gif

Search terms: overhead, console, and wires
Seach location: Mod tech
I came up with 5 very relevent results.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=515408

Billy

No, the wiring harness for an overhead console with trip computer is not there. When I installed mine last September... the info needed was harvested from posts in mod-tech.

It's an easy install, the hardest part was aligning up the cuts in the headliner and removing the pillar trim without breaking it. The wiring harness for the temp sensor and what the OH console harness mates too is already in place.

good luck,
Tom

Last edited:
I have a '96 Country. I have the overhead console wiring harness (all wires accounted for), but no overhead console.

Check in the passanger side kick panel to see if it's there. Guess I got lucky.

I'm not sure if they are the same. When I was looking ebay's were going for $100 plus. I got mine through a friend I met here, he went to a pick-n-pull and it was cheaper ($40).
Good luck,
Tom

I have a 98. I've had the harness already in place. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want just temp and compass, you could use your stock harness. I've pulled mine out when I installed the full console and did a harness swap. I could sell you my old harness for $25 shipped if you need it.

If you want to have all the bells of the console including trip computer, then you'll need to do 1 of the 2 things.
1. Install the harness that originally comes with the full console from a doner vehicle.
2. Run a few more wires into your existing harness.

The truth is that the harness for the full console has more wires on it. When I purchased my console, I purchased it with a full harness. After I received it and went to install it, only the temp and compass worked. I swapped out the stock harness and after that everything including the trip meter worked. I never paid attention to which extra wires go to which harness pin, so I can't give you any more info on it.

Will the GC harness work? Can't say. I know that the consoles from a GC are NOT compatable with the regular cherokee ECUs.

Best bet if you have patience is to set up ebay to automatically notify you when an item that you are looking for is listed. I've purchsed my console with full harness and bracket for $150 BIN. BEST DEAL EVER !!!. I did look and wait for over a month thou.

1 more thing. Don't spend your money on ebay unless you are sure that it will work. Money wasted could be spend on getting what you really need.

Last edited:
Install & wiring of a console on a 2KXJ
http://www.paceenterprises.us/Console.html

As for the Grand Console, they will fit but do not work. I hooked one for the heck of it and the numbers were way off (mileage & MPG)when compared to the XJ console.
HTH
Nathan

Back