• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner over Dynamat Extreme?

aplatz

NAXJA Forum User
I saw one recommendation to scuff the Dynamat Extreme so the Herc can stick to it, but anybody have 1st hand experience? Yes, I clicked the nifty "HAs this already been asked?" button.

I've ripped my carpet out due to a poorly installed windshield. It's going to the glass shop today, so once I know all the leaks are fixed, I'm ready to work on the floor boards. I can tell you w/o the carpet and pad the passenger rear floor board is almost too hot to touch. So...can I put heat shield (Dynamat Extreme or a cheaper brand called "B-Quiet Extreme" and Heruliner over the top? I've seen the Dyna Extreme and it is slightly soft and I'm concerned it may flex enough to crack the Herculiner. Still undecided wether or not to put a new carpet in the front ($200) and/or Herculiner a gal ($100) and put Dynamat down ($85-$130). If I could improve sound dampening and heat, I'd ditch the carpet, but it does both pretty well. It is my DD and the kids always crawl around in and play so it's gotta have protection over the cowl/ cat.

Thanks guys....

You could do it, but I wouldn't recomend it. The metal backing is not thick enough to provide a good base to herc over. And I could see it even peeling off the rubber/ asphalt base over time.

I would say new carpet, d-mat + carpet (youll see the best results with this), or just use a few more layers of herculiner to build up the thickness.

I was afraid you'd say that. That would be a $400 project I was trying to avoid. $200-Carpet, $100 for a gal. of Herculiner and another $100-plus for Dynamat Extreme. OUCH!! And in the end, another leak WILL spring up and the carpet will stink once again. That's why I was hoping to skip the carpet and save $200. Decisions.....

there is no way that heat and other elements over time will let the herc stick. your talking about taking a material that is meant to be put on metal on a material that will allow cracking and a natural ability to flex.

i would lay down the herc get some cheap ass pad and carpet to put over it. maybe some kind of way to remove it in short time when you wheel if your that concerned about getting the carpet messed up. other than that a garage or tarp so nothing gets in? lol.

-jpx3

you could also just fab up a heat sheild for the cat.. I havent done mine yet, but i am planning on using some aluminum (street sign.. dont ask... ) and cutting into a rectangle.. then bending the front edge to bolt onto the Cat flange.. then use a long muffler clamp at the back of the cat to bolt it on w/ a few extra nuts to keep it off the cat.. I think I can have a decent air gap and should keep everything nice and cool.. then possibly make another one for the muffler... I have also heard of using Cookie sheets.. I have a perfect one for that use, but the wife wont let me use it.. and she cant remember were we bought it... Either of these would take care of the heat...

personally i would not herculine your floor. i did it on mine and it was a very poor decision. my floor is rusting and the herculiner is peeling off. dont waste your money. go put carpet back in or paint the floor with POR15.

dont paint anything with por 15 its designed to be apllied on top of rust, not metal. If u aplly por 15 to metal it will flake off. and at 40 dolers a pint? i dont want it peeling off. so once again you aplly por 15 to rust to stop it from getting worse, not to metal to prevent it, theres other products for that.

A slick trick for insulating over the cat is to use an insulated cookie sheet. They are cheap and the air gap really reduces the heat transfer.

xj89 said:
dont paint anything with por 15 its designed to be apllied on top of rust, not metal. If u aplly por 15 to metal it will flake off. and at 40 dolers a pint? i dont want it peeling off. so once again you aplly por 15 to rust to stop it from getting worse, not to metal to prevent it, theres other products for that.

Not quite true. If you apply the "Metal Ready" as recommended by the POR-15 folk, then your new POR-15 floor will most definately prevent any new rust (as well as stopping any existing).

Back