• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap questions

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Comanche, 4.0L with a AW4 automatic apparently out of a 1998. the previous own tried to do a coversion and apparently gave up.

What would it take to make the tranny shift like it should? I know there are two harnesses not hooked up, with no obvious place for them to goto. So I assume I need the tranny computer from an Automatic.

What do I need to make this work?

if its 4wd he had to either change the tranny output or the t-case input or the entire t-case to make the swap work. you might want to check and see if the tranny is actually out of a 98.

Is the 1990 MJ a factory auto trans truck?

If the MJ didn't come with an AW4 you are looking at a large wiring project and you will need to swap a speed sensor off of a 96 or older AW4 (or the whole tranny from 96 and older) into the 98 and use the TCM for your year.

If the MJ did come with the AW4, I would suggest just getting an 87-96 AW4 and the wiring harness will plug right into your TCM.

I put a 97 AW4 in my 88, and the AW4 is the same other than the 23 spline output and the color code on the wire harness.

The speed sensors are the same (only the wire color and plug ends are different, compatible with the early divorced TCU). The solenoid control is the same (again, only the wire colors and plugs are different).

The TCU will need the dual TPS of the auto Renix 4.0L MPI (there, if it's a factory auto trans MJ). It will also need the brake pedal TC lockout switch, and a few other pieces (or go fully manual).

It will be much easier if the MJ was a factory auto.

Ed A. Stevens said:
I put a 97 AW4 in my 88, and the AW4 is the same other than the 23 spline output and the color code on the wire harness.

The speed sensors are the same (only the wire color and plug ends are different, compatible with the early divorced TCU). The solenoid control is the same (again, only the wire colors and plugs are different).

The TCU will need the dual TPS of the auto Renix 4.0L MPI (there, if it's a factory auto trans MJ). It will also need the brake pedal TC lockout switch, and a few other pieces (or go fully manual).

It will be much easier if the MJ was a factory auto.
iiiiiinteresting.....

I was swapping emails with a guy putting a 99 tranny in his 94 and he had to swap the tone rings because the 94 emits 1 pulse per revolution and the 99 does 4 per revolution...

BrettM said:
iiiiiinteresting.....

I was swapping emails with a guy putting a 99 tranny in his 94 and he had to swap the tone rings because the 94 emits 1 pulse per revolution and the 99 does 4 per revolution...

Strange, but sometimes ignorance is as good as luck. We spliced the new AW4 wires to the old Renix wire and plug ends and it works flawlessly (it has for a few years).

If A-W changed the tone ring I would expect the TCU program to shift at 1/4th the speed, but it shifts the same as always. I wonder what he used to read the pulse? When I revised my 2nd gear override to eliminate the diodes I read every output/input with digital and analog meters and wished I had a scope to monitor the pulse rate.

The only internal changes I was aware of are the improved front pump/TC bushing design (disassembled and confirmed it) and the different overdrive ratio (other than the output shaft diameter & spline count). Has anyone found a description of changes published by Asin-Warner?

The truck originally had a AX-15 in it. the more I read about this the more I dont want to deal with it.

The transfercase was swapped also, along with the tranny.

I need to find a AX-15.

What do the AW4s and xfer cases go for. Id love to sell it.

Back