• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ pressure bottle

stesul411

NAXJA Forum User
I was having problems with my 90 XJ pressure cap holding pressure, the local NAPA didn't have one in stock and I was noticing a crack forming in the bottle.
Of course there were none to be had at he local U-Pull-It, so I started searching for an alturnative to changing over to the 91 and later system (I had just changed the rad over to a new copper and brass 2 row unit. My search of the wrecking yard came up with 2 possibilities, late 90's Ford Crown Vic or Dodge Intrepid and its cousins, being an old MoPar guy I chose the Intrepid.

I removed the old bottle and the shelf it was mounted on, the Intrepid bottle fit like it was made for the XJ.

The lower hose was almost a exact fit, I didnt have to but I replaced it with a short piece of bulk 5/8" and it was a exact fit on both ends.

The upper hose was a little bit of a problem I had to adapt from 5/8" to 3/8", a trip to the hardware store and I found the brass adapters I needed.

The total project including the trip around the junk yard took me 2 hrs and loks like a factory installation

click this link for pix.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/XJ PRESSURE BOTTLE/IM000465.jpg

Why not just order a new bottle and cap from quadratec ?
here

1. The entire project cost me 10 bucks.
2. The Intrepid bottle uses a normal full size radiator cap.
3. The Intrepid bottle is made of a stronger plastic.
4. The Intrepid bottle holds more coolant.
5. I needed it NOW!!!!!!
6. I love modifying or fabricting things.
7. I COULD DO IT

My concern is doesnt the renault bottle have to be pressurized to work.. the idea beaing temp and presure and all that stuff that water boils at a higher temperature when under pressure (i failed fisix) that dodge bottle having the overflow tube isnt pressurized is it

wilcharl said:
My concern is doesnt the renault bottle have to be pressurized to work.. the idea beaing temp and presure and all that stuff that water boils at a higher temperature when under pressure (i failed fisix) that dodge bottle having the overflow tube isnt pressurized is it

Yes it is presurized, the cap is rated at 17psi. The Intrepid and its cousins the Eagle Vision and Chrysler Concord used a "closed" type cooling system. With the "real" pressuer cap on the bottle I figured there would be fewer problems then the plastic cap that came on thmy XJ. It does have a overflow tube, just like a radiator overflow bottle has on it.

Last edited:
Good find. I used an old VW Golf bottle and cap on my brother's '88 and it works great in fact I think it's a better design. It is spherical shaped but still fits in the same area as original and has an internally threaded cap that can't expand from over-tightening and causing leaks. When the bottle or cap go on my '90, I'm going with a VW setup as well.

What year model is the bottle out of that looks alot better to work with than the factory. Atleast till i change to an open system:D

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
What year model is the bottle out of that looks alot better to work with than the factory. Atleast till i change to an open system:D

Any older Dosge Interpid, Chrysler Concord, or Eagle Vision prioir to 1897 will work, they ae all virtually the same under the hood.

stesul411 said:
Any older Dosge Interpid, Chrysler Concord, or Eagle Vision prioir to 1897 will work, they ae all virtually the same under the hood.

Hmmmm, those 1897 to about 1903 models though have a tendency to leave alot of crap behind, not to mention the amount of water they consume during hot weather :D :D :D

RichP said:
Hmmmm, those 1897 to about 1903 models though have a tendency to leave alot of crap behind, not to mention the amount of water they consume during hot weather :D :D :D

OK OK I didn't proof read it. But I think he'll get my idea.

IM only bringing this back because his pictures are no longer working and I pulled that same bottle in the event of trying it but need some ideas for hose running as there is the third hose attached at cap.
Anyone have some pictures of this setup installed?

The one off the cap should be an overflow.

I think this is the picture from the original link.

IntrepidBottle.jpg

How is it a pressurized bottle with an overflow tube? I like these ideas by the way. I need a new bottle and I've heard the aftermarket ones aren't very good. I like the metal one that's available out there, but it's expensive!

How is it a pressurized bottle with an overflow tube? I like these ideas by the way. I need a new bottle and I've heard the aftermarket ones aren't very good. I like the metal one that's available out there, but it's expensive!

You get what you pay for. All the pressure bottle is is a remotely mounted radiator tank and like a normal cooling system it can overflow so an over flow bottle is not that bad of an idea. If you can find an old 60's Ford* in a junk yard they had closed systems and a pressure bottle that sat behind the radiator and in front of the carb over the front of the intake manifold, those babies were brass and had a normal pressure cap. Some of the newer Fords still use the closed system, cuts down on the radiator size for the designers so they can have sexier hood lines :D

* I know for a fact that the 61 Ford country squire station wagons with the 352 v8 had them because I remember my moms. Also the 62 country sedan station wagon had them because I remember mine that I inherited from a neighbor in 68, my first car.

well installed the bottle and it works great. My motor sat at around 190 like its supposed to with my 180 thermostat in there. If only I could test it out in the summertime....

Back