• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 4.0 5spd NSS ???

88greenxj

NAXJA Forum User
Cant find a NSS on this xj. Got oddball starting problems. Hold on the key in start, with clutch in, then keep working the shifter until it hits some magical spot and starts? Usually in 3, 4, or R... It is a 5 speed. I've read some post on bypassing the NSS...some thing about grounding terminal 30 on the starter relay??? Does nothing but make big sparks...

{yes I did search...if you were typing or thinking "jackazz needs to do a search" go ahead, tense up the muscle on your thigh, and frog yourself}

88greenxj said:
Cant find a NSS on this xj. Got oddball starting problems. Hold on the key in start, with clutch in, then keep working the shifter until it hits some magical spot and starts? Usually in 3, 4, or R... It is a 5 speed. I've read some post on bypassing the NSS...some thing about grounding terminal 30 on the starter relay??? Does nothing but make big sparks...

{yes I did search...if you were typing or thinking "jackazz needs to do a search" go ahead, tense up the muscle on your thigh, and frog yourself}

There is no NSS on the manual AX15 rigs, but there is a switch on the clutch pedal that acts in a similar manner. Look at it, pull the plug and jumper the two connections on the plug to test things out. You can run without it, just make sure to have it out of gear when you're starting it.

Kejtar said:
There is no NSS on the manual AX15 rigs, but there is a switch on the clutch pedal that acts in a similar manner. Look at it, pull the plug and jumper the two connections on the plug to test things out. You can run without it, just make sure to have it out of gear when you're starting it.

It will actually move the jeep quite a bit in 4lo 1st, great for getting off trails though it is tough on the starter...

Yeah, I'm not certain when they began using it, but it is definitely a clutch pedal interlock, not a neutral safety switch.

Back