• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Advice

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
Ok im going to be doing somthing to my 1996 cherokee sport 4 door. I will be spending most of the time on road but off road i dont want to be useless. I was thinking somwhere along the lines of a bb with some MT but MT will kill my gas and most of the ones ive seen wont last long on the road. I was leaning toward the Kuhmo because their real inexpensive but what tire brand/model would you reccomend? I also need advice on the lift. I dont want to go bigger than 2.5 and i dont want to fabricate one. Thanks

I would get a bb with 2" coil spacers in the front and shackle conversion in the rear. As far as tires go for a MT I would go with BFG. They last a long time on the road and are great offroad. For your situation I would go with BFG AT KO's. Try a search for these things. There is alot of info on this forum about both things.

Kim.

I just put on some Yokohama Geolanders 235/75/15. They have 17/32 tread depth and a great ride on road. I've tested them a couple of times and like the traction they get off road as well. As for tread life, I'll let you know in a year or two.

helix said:
how do the kuhmo A/T perform? I really like the price of the kuhmo.

Don't know myself how the Kuhmo AT's perform. What kindof price are you looking at?

Kim.

well i want to keep it cheap. im willing to spend a bit more for a better tire. basically it needs to last but it also has to be decent off road. Whats the treadware of the K/O AT?

ok ive decided to get the kuhmo mt 30s and the soft 8s with the 4.0 back spacing.

as for a lift well i saw the rough country lifts are cheap. i could get the 3" AAL for 225. if the AAL sagged i could get comanche shacles for free. What do you guys think about the rough country?

If you are going to get an AAL lift for the rear make sure to get a full length add a leaf, not a shorty...

The best MT that I have found for on and off road is the Bridgestone Dueler MT They are costly but you can't beat them. I also think that the destinations are good. If you are looking for a cheaper BB the I would go with Daystar.

RichP said:
If you are going to get an AAL lift for the rear make sure to get a full length add a leaf, not a shorty...

I agree with ya on this RichP. I bought the Rough Country 3" lift with the short AAL and now have some badly bent leaf springs. Helix, I would say if you are going with the RC 3" lift than get the long AAL or new springs rated for the 3" lift. Save some time and money by not having to replace your leaf springs in the near future. As for tires it seems you made your mind up on what you want. I would of went with the 31-10.5 BFG AT's though. Excellent on and off road. They last along time on the road and do a good job off road. I run the radials and am happy with them until I get my 31-11.5 TSL LTB's. The price of the BFG's are a little bit more than some companies but they are a very good tire for the money.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
I would get a bb with 2" coil spacers in the front and shackle conversion in the rear. As far as tires go for a MT I would go with BFG. They last a long time on the road and are great offroad. For your situation I would go with BFG AT KO's. Try a search for these things. There is alot of info on this forum about both things.

Kim.

times 1200000000000000

BFG's will wear the best of any tire out there... (IMO)
throw the 2" Daystar BB on there (spacers and shackle) and slap the 31x10.50's on your stock rims and drive it!

The best all round 'lift' is the OME, super excellent on road ride, 3x better than stock. Very good off road. It replaces both rear leaves and both front coils, the kit also has matched shocks for the springs. Cost though is around $650. It is not advertised as a lift but you get about 2.5-3.0 inches out of it, add a spacer in the front and extended shackle and you will net about 3.5-4.0 inches. Go with rubber bushings, they are much quieter...

Back