• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Hooks

zahra2325

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000XJ with stock front bumper and would like to put in a couple of tow hooks in front. Can anyone tell me whats involved?
Do I need a kit or somthing , or can i just get the tow hooks and bolt them on?

You need tow hook brackets. They are made by both the factory, custom4x4, Rustys off road and a few others. The frame rails on the XJ are too thin to mount hooks to directly and will rip out the first time you use them. The brackets run down the side of the frame rails several inches and uses bolts thru the frame not just on the frame.
Other alternatives are an aftermarket bumper, again custom4x4, ridgidco, Tomken w/2" receiver built in. Use the search feature on the forum and you will find a ton of pics and discussions where this has been covered.

Twisted Copper said:
If you don't want to buy a new bumper, consider a front receiver hitch by draw tite. It'll strengthen your front end and be stronger than the tow hooks.

X2!!

I have recently installed the front hitch from Drawtite and has worked great. I have put it to the test already having to use a Warn 12000lb winch to get me out because a 9000lb Warn winch could not get me out even strapped to a big oak tree. Tow hooks cannot hold up to that and the hitch costs about 30.00 more which is not much considering the reliability of the hitch.

Kim.

Here is a picture of mine in use. Hope it helps with your decision on getting tow hooks or not. Mine is completely visible due to a pushed in bumper. Acts as a skid plate for the front of your jeep to.

5caud5

As one who has had towhooks and seen them bend, I'd recommend a front hitch also...never thought I'd say that.

Not sure whether or not you could use a hi-lift on a front hitch, but it would be easier than w/ towhooks. I'd put a receiver shackle in it and put the hi-lift through the shackle. Also, if you jack the Jeep up where the bumper mounts are, it will only slightly bend the lip of the bumper.

One of our TJ's has a rear receiver hitch for the back end tow point. I was looking at the $50 and more warn, tomken, etc 2" inserts with the d ring shackles and just used a $20 reese insert, removed the ball and put the shackle thru the ball hole. Have the same setup on my tomken rear bumper w/2" receiver. They want a lot of money for a simple piece of steel with 2 holes drilled in it..

Yes, you can use a high lift on a front hitch. I used my tow points that came on my Drawtite. Fleet Farm had a clevise attatchment for a 2" reciever for 34.99 and has a load rating of 10,000lbs. Before I got that I used a pin through my reciever for a strap for getting pulled out.

Kim.

pic of stock hooks/brackets

Here's a pic of the stock hooks/brackets....I just snagged this set from the local yard Sunday for $13 :laugh3:

towhook3.jpg

Jeff, I think those are from a '97 or newer, right? You'll have to modify the top mounting tab a little bit to fit the earlier style bumper.

I put my '97 hooks on a friend's '96 and had to cut the top at the bend, bend the flap with the hole in it to a vertical position and weld it in place.

Yep. But for $13 for the set I couldn't let them just sit there now could I :) I did notice that top front mounting bolt (damn torx heads...) bolted straight thru the top of the bumper...figgered I could just drill my bumper out accordingly (?) I'm going to pull the bumper off after work tonight and see what's what. I've got a front skid to mount up also, and hopefully I'll get both done at once, along with notching out that lower valance thingy to accept the hooks. I'll post some not so exciting pics of it all when I get it done.
Jeff

Go with a front hitch. I installed tow hooks then later on looked on some set ups with front hitches.. I wish I got the hitch instead of the hooks.. for one thing its hella stronger, and is a lot less likely than to bend (read, in side pulls and such) so... Vote from me goes to hitch.. I might even rplace my hooks with a hitch later down the road, who knows.

Jeff in VA said:
Yep. But for $13 for the set I couldn't let them just sit there now could I :) I did notice that top front mounting bolt (damn torx heads...) bolted straight thru the top of the bumper...figgered I could just drill my bumper out accordingly (?) I'm going to pull the bumper off after work tonight and see what's what. I've got a front skid to mount up also, and hopefully I'll get both done at once, along with notching out that lower valance thingy to accept the hooks. I'll post some not so exciting pics of it all when I get it done.
Jeff
Jeff, I had the same issue trying to use pre 97 brackets on my 00. If you compare the front part of the bracket is just a regular bumper bracket welded to the longer tow hook bracket. I just cut the pre 97 bumper bracket off with a cut off wheel and welded my stock 00 bumper bracket back in its place. Some of the welds are a bit tough to get to, but it makes for a clean install. It took me about 5 mins a side to cut them off and another 5 mins to get them all lined up and welded back together.

Hi,
Is it drawtite ?
Did you put your licence plate upstairs because of the hitch ?

I am out on a hunt fot a tow solution and I do not like the idea of restricting cold air supply to the air box.

Back