• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj dana 44 ready final q's

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
alright my xj dana 44 is ready to go to the shop to be regeared and what not. Here is what I have

-ring and pinion
-overhaul kit
-u-bolts
-u-bolt plates

will i need anything else or do you guys suggest enything else before it is bolted in?

And since i'm considering a zj disc conversion - are you guys with drums on your xj dana satisfied? I'm running 33's, will they suffice or should I shell out the money for teh discs?

thanks

Got locker?

Get the pinion drilled or replaced so you can use u-bolts and not straps.

Sorry I forgot some questions-

I was told by a gear shop I woulod need a new carrier with the switch to 4.56's is this true?

and does the overhaul kit come with shims? I'm confused on whether or not an overhaul kit is the same as an install kit.

Be prepared to adjust your pinion angle when you install the rear end - when I swapped my 44 in (stock was the 8.25), the angle change was just enough to cause vibes at highway speeds.

lisdexic said:
Sorry I forgot some questions-

I was told by a gear shop I woulod need a new carrier with the switch to 4.56's is this true?

and does the overhaul kit come with shims? I'm confused on whether or not an overhaul kit is the same as an install kit.

Depends on what gear are in it now.Carrier break is at 3.55,if it had 3.07 or 3.55s ,you need a new carrier to go to 4.56.
Overhaul kit should have new bearings,shims,seals,RG bolts,gear marking compound.
Install kit has shims only if IIRC.
Wayne

If you are going to go discs do it now, it will save you having to pull the axles later on to change the backing plates. Same with a traction device, do it now, all at once to keep the price down so you are not paying over and over again to have it opened up and added to.

Back