• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pop and Creek in front end

learjets

NAXJA Forum User
I've go a clunk or pop noise when the jeep is rolling at slow speed, less than say 5-10 mph. "just starting to move". I can put it in netural and push it and get the noise.

It makes the same amount of noise going straight or turning.

The transfercase is in 2x4 or 4x4, the front axle is disconnected or connected it makes no change.

If I go down my driveway (twist) it seem to act up more.

I can jack the front end up and it will not do it, wheels spin free, straight or extreme turns.

It started when I converted from 2 wheel drive to 4x4 and added a Rough Country 3 inch lift kit the new axle was upgraded with new balljoints, axle u-joints, and wheel bearings.

I've checked the trackbar and even disconnected it and moved the jeep around and the pop is still present.

Seem to be present only with weight on the tires, slow speed.

Recheck torque on control arm bushing hardware - all Ok
Axle U-joints where replaced when axle was rebuild 3 weeks ago - with tire off the ground I can spin wheels and turn lock to lock with out any binding noise, so I think I can rule them out.

"Ball joints" - the axle is a disconnect type 1987 vintage, the steering knuckle, wheel bearing hub, and brakes are the original 1994 ones. I replaced the ball joints with the 1987 style ones - they came with the split ring seat but the 1994 steering knucke does not use them......

Any one else been in to ball joints problems before???

Back