• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving/Replacing switches in 96 XJ Country

shloky

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Just got my 96 XJ Country, which luckily had a 2'' lift and new 31x10.50's all around, so the money I was going to spend on that stuff can now go towards upgrading the classic Jeep barren interior.

(Seat covers, floor mats, etc)

Questions:

1) I was looking to see if there is a way to replace the headlight pull out knob with a toggle switch (with a single dimmer setting) or a seperate toggle switch and dimmer knob, anyone know what would go into doing this?

2) Replacing the power window/power lock switches with switches that have light, and/or moving said switches to the center console? Anyone done this, know how?

3) Paint over the "wood" dash, as well as the rest in a dark gray. anything special? do i need take it all out, sand it down, prime, paint or just put it on there?

Thanks all, looking forward to learning a lot

-Shlok

-2800 bucks for 150k in well maintained condition, needs about 800 bucks off the bat (cat, serpentine belt, trannycooler lines)

I have thought of drilling out a tiny hole just above the door lock and and window switches and putting in some nice mini leds above them. After a while you can do a decent job in the dark just by the feel though ... so it was never a priority for me in the 6 years i have had my XJ.

You can paint the dash easy. Kyrlon makes a paint that adheres nicely to plastics. it is a special new paint they came out with last year (they market it as a special paint so not to confuse you just regular old krylon is no better than any other spray paint ... but this new line of paint works well on plastics) Also check Eastwood (www.eastwood.com) i think they sell special paints for dashes/plastics. I would not use just any old paint on plastic it flakes to easy.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for your help.

If I do get around to doing these things I'll be sure to put up a walkthrough with pictures and all.

Thanks again,
Shlok

Back