• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Drop Brackets and Rocker Protection Problem??

bshaw

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching around on the site and could not find the same problem. Over the weekend I installed the RE Drop Brackets and Braces on my heep. While doing so, I ran into a small problem.

I already have Kevin's Rock Skidz on, and they are not agreeing with the bracket that runs underneath the cross member. As of right now I have the rock skidz unbolted so I could finish the nice long weekend project.

I'm trying to decided whether to try and slide the skidz' mounting plate under the RE drop bracket, drill new holes, tap them, and bolt it back up? Before I go on, there is a gap now in between the frame and the RE bracket. Just enough to probaly slide the skidz' under it. -OR-

Should I just mount the skidz back up with the RE bracket in the way, drill new holes, and ect....? This would leave the skidz hanging down towards the front of the heep, and not flush with the rockers.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Can you even drill through the tick a$$ steel of the RE bracket? Any help would greatly be apperciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Not sure how the rockers mount, but you should be good to go if the mount to the side of the frame rail.

Check for a post by BillR on a similar subject regarding C4x4 rails and DBs.

Fergie

bshaw said:
I'm trying to decided whether to try and slide the skidz' mounting plate under the RE drop bracket, drill new holes, tap them, and bolt it back up? Before I go on, there is a gap now in between the frame and the RE bracket. Just enough to probaly slide the skidz' under it.

That's what I did - worked fine...

When I have to drill upwards into thick steel, I always use a bottle jack or jackstand and lever to easily apply pressure to the drill, without having to be directly underneath it.

Fergie said:
Not sure how the rockers mount, but you should be good to go if the mount to the side of the frame rail.
There are two elbows that mount to the frame rail (by the front and rear tire). 4 bolts in each, and they mount in the bottom and the front of the frame rail.
lesslimited said:
That's what I did - worked fine...
When I have to drill upwards into thick steel, I always use a bottle jack or jackstand and lever to easily apply pressure to the drill, without having to be directly underneath it.
Awesome info! Well that solves what I was looking for. Glad someone else experinced the same problem.
Thanks for the info guys, very apperciated!

Back