• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nutzert to nutzert swap

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I'm building my roof rack and I am planning to replace the stock nutzerts with some better ones. Only problem that I have is how to remove old ones without dropping the pieces inside (I'd drop the headliner but that would mean removing the cage and that's too much work).
Anyways I have a 97 and I know those nutzerts pull out as I pulled one of them out half way in the 98 when a branch lifted my stock rack. Any ideas how to pull them out one by one without doing any damage to the sheetmetal?

ChuckD said:
You have the latter XJ, aren't your OEM nutzerts metal and not rubber?
I think they are, but I know the still pull out: I had a branch grab the crossbar on my other jeep and pull up and pull the nutzert half way out. It looked like they were only slightly expanded during install unlike some of the other ones I've seen.
I was thinking about putting a bolt into one and prying on it, but I don't know what that's going to do to the roof. Other thing I was considering was a slide hammer (kind of simulating the branch that pulled them out a bit in the other jeep)

You could drill them out, that would leave the sheetmetal intact. Just figure out what size the original hole is. Or use a replacement that requires a bigger hole and just drill them out to that size.

Lawn Cher' said:
You could drill them out, that would leave the sheetmetal intact. Just figure out what size the original hole is. Or use a replacement that requires a bigger hole and just drill them out to that size.

Drilling them out is the easy way out, but then I will have 12 little pieces rolling around in the headliner and everytime they meet they will rattle...

ChuckD said:
Get a shop vac and suck them out. BTW, I didn't have an OEM rack and I drilled out all my holes, there is nothing rattling above my headliner. Drill them out and don't worry about it.
Oh I'm not worried about the metal shavings rattling, I was more concerned that the bottom parts of the nutzerts would be rattling :D

Good idea on the shopvac: that might work out :D

They will not roll around on the head liner. Trust me. One of the triggers for my O.C.D. is rattles. When I drilled mine out I left them where they fell. Besides, they never make it to the head liner. They fall into a boxed in sheet metal area at the edge of the roof.

Really,

TIM
Kejtar said:
Drilling them out is the easy way out, but then I will have 12 little pieces rolling around in the headliner and everytime they meet they will rattle...

Kejtar said:

Rattle from those little nutcerts ? Hmmm, what size tires are your running again :D

RedBluffBoy said:
Take some pictures if you can.
I've been following your rack posts and would love to see your progress.

Thank you.
RBB
Have you seen those. I posted them in the other thread and that's al I have done so far. Now I am going to put in some thinnger spreaders (3: 1 at each end and 1 in the middle). I also have to finish up the side rails (I need to bend up the pieces that it will attach to though as I angled them at too steep of an angle downwards).

Kejtar said:
I guess not big enough :D

Poor Guy, It must really be tough.:dunno:

Lawn Cher' said:
The hole needed to remove them will have to be larger than the original. When drilling them out, once the exposed lip is seperated from the threaded (and expanded) lower barrel, enlarge the holes for the new inserts. Be very careful not to oversize of mis-shape the new holes. Doing so is BAD. After enlarging the holes us a magnetic tip on a flexible wand to fish the potentialy rattling boogers out.

Tim

Use the nutzert tool in reverse and stretch them back out.

Back