• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end traction...

Drunk tank

NAXJA Forum User
well now that the rear is locked.... its time to consider doing something to the front. Seeing as this is a daily driver, completly locking up isnt something I wanna do (unless I got manual hubs but thats too fawkin expensive as is an aussie).

I forget who mentioned it at the OC meet and greet.... but what about a limited slip in the front? Figure that would be more streetable and save a few axle shafts. Any other options I should consider for the front?

Also, where can i get a limited slip and round how much does it cost?

thanks ya'll!

Drunk tank said:
well now that the rear is locked.... its time to consider doing something to the front. Seeing as this is a daily driver, completly locking up isnt something I wanna do (unless I got manual hubs but thats too fawkin expensive as is an aussie).

I forget who mentioned it at the OC meet and greet.... but what about a limited slip in the front? Figure that would be more streetable and save a few axle shafts. Any other options I should consider for the front?

Also, where can i get a limited slip and round how much does it cost?

thanks ya'll!
I run a Lockrite in the front like a bunch of others here on a daily driver and can hardly tell it's there on the street. A locked rear is more noticable than the front on an XJ.

hackedxj said:
I run a Lockrite in the front like a bunch of others here on a daily driver and can hardly tell it's there on the street. A locked rear is more noticable than the front on an XJ.

X2
when i locked my front (also w/ a Lockrite) i still drove it alot on road,
the locker might be noticeable in the fact you may hear it Ratchet occassionally while turning sharply going very slowly & w/ the windows down
otherwise it Does Not engage unless torque is applied Via shifting into 4hi/low :)

BrettM said:
an aussie locker is too expensive? then give up now

By Aussie im refering to an ARB..... thought that was another referance to it. ARB... fawk that. I want my junk to be simple and self cantained.... air setups to run a locker are just more dollars I dont wanna sepnd on the 30

Drunk tank said:
By Aussie im refering to an ARB..... thought that was another referance to it. ARB... fawk that. I want my junk to be simple and self cantained.... air setups to run a locker are just more dollars I dont wanna sepnd on the 30

I have a detroit and I love it. Even though my XJ isn't a 100% daily driver (gas costs too much), I still drive it about 200 miles each week and I don't notice the front locker in 2wd. Next time you're planning to be up in Westmisnter area, give me a holler and you can check it out.

Im running a spooled 9" rear, and an Aussie in the front 30. The spool is real noticable, but you get used to it as I have, and don't drive like a complete idoit. The Aussie isn't noticable at all. I have to REALLY listen if I want to hear it rathced, otherwise it is 99.9% invisible. The only real time I notice it is doing U-turns, otherwise nothing. Offroad the Aussie is incredible, and it was a SIMPLE install. Since I'm 18 this is my DD FULL time, so I did take into account for that. I do plan on going selectable in the rear, but not until the funds are generous. I would say Aussie (~$250 shipped), Truetrac, or Lockright.

lock right up front, all you will notice is a bit of ractheting in tight turns

Dual ez lockers here. Experienced the same as everyone else. Don't do a limited slip as it is just a waste of time if you really like the rock or mud. -----------Kyle

Drunk tank said:
well that's a little different, an Aussie Locker is very similar to a Lockright and is $200-250, http://www.offroadlockers.com/

throw whatever lunchbox locker you can get cheap in the front, and start saving for some alloy shafts if you run 33s or 35s.

Back