• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1-ton XJ ?'s

GREEN XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm fixing to put a Ford D60 front and 14 bolt rear in my XJ, and I am just wondering if anyone has done such or similar b/c the axles are at a shop getting mounts put on them and I want to know what size tire I can run. I'm running a 9" long-arm w/cut fenders. I thinking about running 38x14.50x15 TSL SX's or 39.5x15x15 TSL's. Any info. will help and if anyone has got some good tires let me know.

what was wrong with the advice here :laugh3 : http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359451

The 14 bolt will hold up easily to either of those tires with any reasonable engine (not a blown big-block). The D60 will be slightly weaker, though should still hold up to a fair amount of abuse, you should probably upgrade the outers to 35 spline.

I would be far more worried about properly reinforcing the unibody for the stresses of such a large drivetrain/tires.

I just bought a cherokee recently, it has dana 60's front and rear, with a TPI 350..

I am in the same boat as you, as far as figuring out what tire size I can run. I am looking to run 37's or so.. but it seems there are not a lot of peeps that do.

It's amazing how Brett was the only one to give any type of useable advice on Pirate. Those guys love being dicks and never answering questions.

The tires on it are 39.5 Boggers.Oh yeah,you better reinforce the uni body.He bent the uni body on this one last weekend,I mean literally bent the body so from the side it looks like a bannana.

on mine, i have a custom radius arm set up, with a sleeve over the front area, the rear has a subframe. but i plan to box in from the middle (where the radius mount ends) back. should do nicely.

As for reinforcing the unibody, I'd suggest a cage. If you were to go exo, then the best would be to tie it into the two rails that run parallel underneath (don't remember there name).

I'm putting an external cage tied into internal cage welded to the frame in about 14 different spots, plus I have plated the whole frame front to back w/ 3/16" metal inside and out.

Back