• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 99 Dual Pattern Cam work on an 87 Renix??

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've been hearing some noise in my motor latly (4.0s are noisy, but this tap,tap,tap is deffinatly not normal) and I'm pretty sure I have a stuck valve (I tried the old paper over the exhaust trick, and the exhaust is sucking the paper in, so I've got a stuck valve), This sounds like a lifter problem, and its a good practice to replace the camshaft if your going to replace the lifters. So I was wondering weather a newer Dual Pattern (99+) camshaft would fit and work well in my 87 Renix 4.0. Dino Savva mentioned on his site that because of the poor exhaust flow, Mopar gave the 4.0 a dual pattern cam in 99 that would make the exhaust valves open better. If I'm going to go through the trouble of replacing the cam, I might as well get one that will make my motor run a little better, and I figured that some one on here would know weather one of those newer cams would work good on a Renix. Let me know what you guys think.

If you are having a noisy lifter (when warm and idling with low oil pressure) then it is time for a rebuild or a rebuilt engine. If the noise is constant from cold startup you need to do a compression test and then remove the valve cover and check for broken/worn rocker/pushrod/valve spring, etc. On an 87 you are most likely due for a complete rebuild - lifters start getting noisy at 175,000+ miles.

Ditto on what Rob said. A compression check on all cylinders will reveal if there's a leaking valve or leaking rings. I suspect that an engine rebuild is on the cards and that being the case, you could invest in an aftermarket cam/lifter package. If you're looking for more torque at low/medium rpm, go for the Crane 750501 cam. It's better than the '96+ OEM cam and it strikes just the right balance on the 4.0.
Then again, you could rebuild your engine into a stroker. It won't cost you much more and you'll love the performance gain.

265hp@4900/325lbft@3500, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Back