• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Draglink adjuster clamp...re-center steering/alignment?

EZridaz

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to re-center my steering wheel with adjusting the draglink adjuster sleeve and was wondering if this will throw it out of alignment at all?TIA!!!

Actually adjusting the drag link does affect toe in a small way. If you turn the drag link sleeve more than one complete turn, the toe will need to be reset.

JJacobs said:
Actually adjusting the drag link does affect toe in a small way. If you turn the drag link sleeve more than one complete turn, the toe will need to be reset.

Umm, no. You're not adjusting the distance between the wheels with that adjusting sleeve; you're only changing the position of the pitman arm (and thus, the steering wheel) with the wheels at a given position. Toe adjustment on an XJ is accomplished using the tie rod as an adjusting sleeve.

umm..... BUT the pitman are swings on a radius so adjusting it too far (really apearant on a lifted vehicle) it will change the angle at which the tierod intersects the drag link thereby changing the toe.

The thing that will change the angle by which the center(drag)link intersects the tie rod is the distance of the pitman arm end above the axle (i.e. the amount of lift). This is what causes the toe to be out after lifting a vehicle.

After adjusting the toe on lifted Jeeps (which I've done a few of), then straightening the steering wheel with the draglink adjuster, the toe doesn't budge...

Sorry guys. I'm an alignment tech, and have verified that on the stock steering system, it does change the toe when you adjust the drag link. It's not a big change, but it will move some.

If you doubt that, try and watch the tech next time you get an alignment, you will see him reset the toe a small amount after adjusting the drag link.

Roll-over said:
umm..... BUT the pitman are swings on a radius so adjusting it too far (really apearant on a lifted vehicle) it will change the angle at which the tierod intersects the drag link thereby changing the toe.

Roll-over wins the prize.

JJacobs said:
Sorry guys. I'm an alignment tech, and have verified that on the stock steering system, it does change the toe when you adjust the drag link. It's not a big change, but it will move some.

If you doubt that, try and watch the tech next time you get an alignment, you will see him reset the toe a small amount after adjusting the drag link.
After my lift was finished (RE 5.5) I went to get an alignment and the steering wheel was straight before I went in and at a 1-2 o'clock position(turned to the right) when I left and was bugging me and didnt know if they had to do that to make it right or just a sloppy tech so I wanted to correct it and not have to go back and get ANOTHER alignment as they arent cheap to get done every other day...but I did straighten it out about two turns and now I'm back straight again.

JJacobs: Just curious, what kind of alignment machine do you use? We have a pretty new Hunter machine where I work. The toe reading rarely changes after I straighten the steering wheel on XJs, TJs, etc, and other trucks with the same steering setup.(Maybe 1 or 2 hundredths of a degree, but never even close to enough to consider having to reset the toe)

5 year old Hunter. Stock height, they don't change much. Lifted I usually reset the toe when centering.

I like Superduty alignments because you can center the wheel on the road without worrying about toe, as the tie rod goes knuckle to knuckle, not knuckle to drag link.

If you are doing this after adding a lift, did you adjust the track bar to make sure the wheels themselves are centered with the frame? You should center the axle first, then the drag link.

old_man said:
If you are doing this after adding a lift, did you adjust the track bar to make sure the wheels themselves are centered with the frame? You should center the axle first, then the drag link.

Wheels are centered with the frame

I know this is a really old post but it came up with a Google search. I was trying to find out this exact thing. I lifted my XJ 3.5 inches and had it aligned. Then I ended up having to replace my steering box. When I removed the pitman arm and let that whole assembly drop down, my 1 tire (believe it was the driver's side) toed out visably 2-3 inches. I wasn't too worried because I knew I'd be bolting it back up, but I've long suspected that having to adjust to straighten my steering after the new box has messed with my alignment.

Mine is extreme I know... but does the drag link effect toe...absolutely 100%....by how much, now that can be debated :)

Back