• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj on 35'

Wolfe

NAXJA Forum User
ok bear in mind that the following will be in Australian dollars and proberbly not relavent to you guys
The dollowing is an excert from an australian web site(AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM) From the for sale section:-

"Front 'Super 30' Diff has 4.88 gears, ARB 30 spline air locker, WARN D44 inner axles which have been cut and custom splined to 30 spline.

(to build this diff would cost $1100 for the air locker, $700 for the ring and pinion, $1000 for the axles and $400 to get the axles cut. Add around $400 to get the locker, gears fitted and you're up to over $3k already, not including any axle installation, and not including any value in the housing/brakes etc as parts). Front external axle tube seals are also included with this.

Rear Dana 44 has 4.88 gears, ARB air locker.

(this is your average Dana 44 rear with ARB air locker, again you're looking at $1100 for the locker, $700 for the r&p and $400 install, this adds up to over $2k not including the value of the housing and brakes etc) "

I would like to buy these two diffs and was wondering if this setup up combined with a shyte load of fender alteration would be ample to take 35" Maxxis tyres on 10" rims Im aware ill need to do a sye and possibly 4 - 6.5" lift at present my 96 model xj is fairly stock with a 2" lift and 31" tyres.
Is it worth swapping out the high pinion xj dana30 front for the low pinion tj front?
I have a fairly aggressive driving style but am sick and tired of being hung up on rocks with the existing setup.
I know that the perches on the rear will need to be changed

i would buy them, keep the 44 how it was and install it with whatever adjustments it would take to fit it underneath, and then just gut the LP 30 and put the locker and gears in you HP 30, that should make your 30 stong enough to run 35's. I know a lot of people running the exact same setup near me with few or no problems with 35's

why the hell would he have to do anything to the hp30. yeah that would be good enough for those 35s, but ball joints and hubs probably wont last a very long time. i know mine dont on 33s

it really depends on how you drive i guess, everyone i know whos build the 30 has never had any problems, i run 35's on my regular HP 30 and have yet to mess anything up other than braking some shitty burfeild 30 axles

BIGoffroadXJ said:
i would buy them, keep the 44 how it was and install it with whatever adjustments it would take to fit it underneath, and then just gut the LP 30 and put the locker and gears in you HP 30, that should make your 30 stong enough to run 35's. I know a lot of people running the exact same setup near me with few or no problems with 35's

gears are different for HP and LP d30's and the TJ LP30 has different gears than the CJ 30's

I did the currency conversions and some of those prices seem kinda high.
using 0.758279 for the conversion. 3000 au $ would equal 2274 and change in us funds. your $700 gearset is kinda nasty. in the states gears go for what would equal about $170 au$ on the average. also you were quoted $1400au which is about $1061us for just the shafts... ouch. check out the us company web sites.
do you know what the duties are?

Back