• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to jeep hood w/ tranny question

hbtmcg

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to Xj's but here goes. BTW: The search feature has been a major help to me. THANKS!

MY info: 86' Cherokee, 3 speed Auto, 222000+ miles, 2.8l v6, 2wd Daily driver that see only street duty

My questions are as follows:

1.) My auto tranny is giving VERY delayed shifting. I have to almost gun it towards red line for it to shift up a gear. I know this isn't normal so what should I check and or replace to figure if the tranny is gonna die soon?

2.)What are the warning signs of pending tranny doom?

3.) PO installed a B&M Megashifter to shift the Tranny could this be causing my tranny problems?

4.)After checking the VIN I discovered that the tranny in the car WAS a 5 speed manual but it seems the PO changed it. The clutch pedal isn't in the car any more so my question is how hard is it to swap back in a 5 speed manual?

Thanks,
HBT

Your Jeep has a Chrysler TorqueFlite Tranny in it... I would first adjust the bands... This is discussed online and in the repair books... i am not a fan of the torqueflite or any chrysler tranny for that matter... its certnaily not the bulletproof AW4

I know a lot of pre-electronic "Big 3" transmission had a vacuum modulator in them, and if it was failing it would cause wonky shifting. Check for something like that as well - see if you have one, and see if it might want replacing (they're usually pretty cheap.) It's also worthwhile to check the vacuum line to see if it's sprung a leak (but this is moot if you don't have one, of course.)

Also check the band(s) - check and follow your service manual process for that.

5-90

Back