• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny shifting hard into 3rd

MACH90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im working on a '90, 4wd, aw4, 4.o, np231. I took out a perfectly shifting tranny to replace a leaking soft plug on rear of block. I get it bolted up and fluids topped off, now it shifts hard into 3rd. All other shifting seems to be the same as before. Re-adjusted kickdown cable, I didnt unhook any adjustments on linkage, tranny and t-case came down in one piece. I am missing something, Just cant think of anything else to try. Help me out here guys, sucks when something worked fine before I touched it. :mad:

Is it shifting just firm into 3 rd or really harsh? How did you adjust the TV cable? Most adjust out just one or two clicks. What position is your comfort and power switch in, if you have one?
Mine was shifting late, because of an out of adjustment TPS, the shift into third seemed a little harsh, due to the higher than normal RPM`s that it was shifting at.
A harsh shift, sure beats a soft or slipping shift. It sure enough could be worse.

I always run with power setting. The shift actually feels like a slight slip then engages into third. The timing of the shifts is about the same just too harsh for a power setting type feel.
The cable that I adjusted runs off the throttle body over the valve cover, depress button- push cable in- open throttle all the way- let go of button.Is this the only cable to adjust ?

Fluids filled and drove til warmed, rechecked level. Thats how I always filled trannys, unless this jeep one is a different process let me know someone.

TPS is set correctly to rule that out.

You let go of the button and then open the throttle all the way, the plunger should ratchet or click into the proper position (it won´t do this, if you hold the button down, while opening the throttle). On most older XJ´s there is maybe 1/4" of the plunger shaft showing, it usually only clicks once or twice.

8MUD- Thanks for sticking with me here. Thats exactly what I was doing wrong. Plunger now only clicks out one click versus the inch or so it was sticking out. I logged on here 1 minute after you posted,when right outside in the rain and adjusted and test drove it. Glad it was an easy one, sure didnt want to drop that tranny again so soon. I wolud buy ya a barley pop but Germany is a few miles from Oregon.

:cheers:

Back