• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ OBD II compliant?

jchampoux

NAXJA Forum User
I know that all cars and trucks starting with the 96 model year are supposed to be OBD II compliant.
I know that my 96 has an OBD II style connector under the dash.
I know (from the FSM) that it can throw PIDs and DTL's

I cant seem to find any kind of sticker under the hood that says it''s OBD II compliant, which is supposed to be there.
has anybody actually used an OBD II scantool an a 96?

thanks

From what i understand.....

Beginning the '98 model year you need a scanner to retrieve engine codes. Seems the '96 and '97 OBD II's do not reqire the scanner on these Jeeps. Personally since i have a '98, wished they hadn't changed that value!!

Thanks; yes it seems the ability to turn your key on-off,on-off,on and check your MIL is a bonus, over an above the underlying compatibility, but I am wondering if the 96 is truly OBD II. The only way to know is to actually try it with an OBD II scanner that reads generic PID's.
I guess I will go first.

As far as i know, yes-

All the '96s and many '95s are OBD II, totally OBD II. Of course if you mean the data stream parameters and the such are exactly the same, not necessarily. That characteristic can differ somewhat depending on specific year in many cases. Certain standards to comply with OBD II requirements must be in place for all with that designation.

So If I've got a late year 96 & want to trouble shoot some codes can I do the key on/off thing or do I need a scanner? Is there a scanner thats available to regular Joes that will point the average
guy to the bad sensor or possible problems?
Thanks...
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

So Tbear.. you using this on an OBDII ? Do you have a
brand name.... I might be willing to spend the money if it'll pay for itself after afew times...
Thanks....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back