• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear pattern (Pics)

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all just checking my Gear pattern. I think it the Pinion needs to be pushed closer to the ring gear but i wanted to check before taking it all apart again. Thanks
17695.jpg

24267.jpg

1-need good pics
2-show both drive and coast(make sure and load them the best you can)
3-what was the backlash
4-what axle

Pinion looks too shallow if BL is within spec. Shim it and you'll find out real quick what it needs. Instead of pressing and pulling the inner pinion bearing, you can put shims under the outer race to gain some adjustability with pinion depth. :)

FUNKYTEE5

Ya i got to add shims. The shims are in front of the bearing race. Backlash is to .005". A little tight but it should losen slightly. Oh its Chrysler 8.25. The only question i have is what do you mean by loading it equally? I will repost pics after i add shims. :lock:

The loading idea is makes lots of sense. Thank you. One more question though. When i turn the pinion in one direction and look at the pattern it only makes a mark on the drive or coast side (depending on which way i turn the pinion.) To get the marking on the other side i have to run a mesh again by turning the pinion in the opposite direction. Is this normal? Or should i get an marking on Both sides Coast and drive at the same time regardless on whether i turn it clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks.

Rookie, are you sure you should be installing your own gears?
Sorry, just a poke. all kidding aside.
#1 don't use so much marking compound. just a light solid coat on 3 teeth will be pleanty. that way you won't get it all over the place and it makes it easier to attain a pattern.
#1 turn the ring gear into the pinion. if the pinion is properly preloaded then it will take some effort to get it going. this will give you a better pattern that is easier to read.
#3 when you take a picture, pull the camera away and get the whole diff in the shot. I like to see the residual pattern, the pattern made when the pinion applies compound to ring gear teeth other than the 3 that you had originally applied the marking compound to in the first place. not to mention that when you pull back, your focus works better and I can see more detail.
#4 Yes you need to spin the gears in both directions to get a pattern on both sides of the gear.
#5 set your camera to a lower resolution. 640x480 is pleanty big and it loads faster.
#6 Add .003" to the pinion shims to push the pinion a little bit deaper. open the backlash up to .007" and take a better pattern.

Ok Backlash is .007". I added shims another .004" for the pinion depth. Looks to me like it could go slightly deeper a little more. maybe .002". what do you guys think?
gear_17487.jpg

gear_25422.jpg

gear_34586.jpg

I think it's real close:) If you didn't already, make sure with the pinion mock-up that you preload the bearings within spec and rap the yoke with a brass hammer to seat the races and then recheck pre-load. Many times the pinion will pull slightly shallow and alter the perfect pattern the you once had after loading the bearings to spec. Good luck.

FUNKYTEE5

Much better pics. very good. Funky has some good advice on the pinion. make sure its totally seated with a brass or copper hammer.
I think that your pattern is about perfect. The coast side shows a little deep but the drive side shows a good solid pattern. The markings match what was originally run on the gearset with they pre-run them in the factory. if you look there is a distinction on the gearteeth, or a "pattern" from the factory. its usually not in compound but its just a slight color variance that I can see. Drive side is a good solid oval on the spot where you applied the compound. then as its re-applied to other teeth is pretty much covers the whole gear.
I would run that pinion depth. and that backlash. That is a pattern I would go with. don't change anything. your done...

Back