• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running a wider rear

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
just curious to what downsides there will be with running a wider rear, approx. 6-8" wider. it seems turning radius will suffer some. other than that i cant really think of a problem. anyone else care to speculate, anyone have any experience with this?

Are you talking in relation to the front or compared to stock? I'm running full width diffs in my XJ D44 front and D60 rear. The tires stick way out of the fenders and so you need more lift since the tires don't tuck into the wheel well. Turning radius is also reduced.

just a wider rear. stock front

yeah. my rear is about 2" wider, and on the road it makes the rear sway less around turns, and it feels a lot more stable. i imagine 6" would suck in deep mud or snow, though. what tire size do you wanna run?

Yep if the front and rear wheels are too far off on track width then they each have to make their own path thru the snow/mud. Makes for a bit more work. Plus it just look plain wierd! :)

Fatwreck has done it or is doing it so PM him. I am thinking about throwing my full width 9" in as well for a short while as soon as I get the front 44 housing built. Got a long ways to go-----kyle

the hell with mud, i hate it. use to love it but after recently being headlight deep i have decided to just stick to the rocks. 33s now and 35s when they wear out.

BrettM said:
my front is 3" wider than the rear and I love it. especially with the 115" wheelbase it really helps with turning radius and getting the rear around rocks and obstacles.
exactly, but i will be doing the opposite with a wider rear.

hmm...rear steer with a narrower rear, i should have an awesome turning radias now, thanks!!!

just found out 15" wheels wont fit, which means new wheels and tires...:( anyone want an 8.8?

its an 8.8 from an expedition and the thing has montsrous discs on it. there 13" across and then once you throw on the caliper its looking like a no go

Ramsey said:
just curious to what downsides there will be with running a wider rear, approx. 6-8" wider. it seems turning radius will suffer some. other than that i cant really think of a problem. anyone else care to speculate, anyone have any experience with this?

I ran a full width 60 in the rear and a XJ 30 up front for a month or more. Turning radius sucks and it's kinda scary if you brake hard into a turn, other than that it was alright.
Billy

is it liveable? if i do keep it and put it on it will be quite a long while before i swap in a 44 front

BrettM said:
why won't the fit? what axle? typically axles that 15" wheels won't fit on actually will fit if you use very little backspacing, like 3".

werd.gif
I had 15's on my rear 60 w/ disk brakes (from a late 70's blazer). 3.5" BS and some grinding on the calipers and it worked just fine.
Billy

with rear brakes that big you will probably need a adjustable prop. valve.
with 33's it will just act all wierd in the rocks, and feel funny backing up into a parking spot. but it should handle fine.

didnt think about grinding on it, might have to give that a try

my ford 9 is 65" wms wms... but the rims that are on it are like 5" backspacing... i dont mind it...

will have the d44 up front before i get to the point where i can put the 3" bs wheels that are sitting in the garage on

5 on 5.5 does that... and the 33's are mounted on them...

here is a pic that sorta shows the width difference - sticks out about 2" on each side more than the front does...

click for fullsize...

and no stealing my green smilie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back