• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket P/S pumps/boxes

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running an aftermarket? This will be for a 75% trail used XJ (25% road use). I wa slookin at the AGR pumps and superboxes. Anyone know anything about em? Experience? Input?
My pump was fried upon removal and my box leaks as bad as the engine did.

imma honky said:
Anyone running an aftermarket? This will be for a 75% trail used XJ (25% road use). I wa slookin at the AGR pumps and superboxes. Anyone know anything about em? Experience? Input?
My pump was fried upon removal and my box leaks as bad as the engine did.

I am Running the AGR Rockram set up, well most of it, i don't have the ram installed yet cause i haven't made a new tierod. anyway.

I had to send the Box back 3 times to have it checked before i had power in both directions. They were okay to deal with execpt that the first i guys i started talking to left the company, then some new guy came in and didn't know anything, finally i got the owner (can't remember names it was almost a year ago). The bad thing about this is i live in washington state and frieght to texas for the box was over $40, plus i was running royal purple oil and that had to be filled after every exchange.

In the mean time i was also talking to the guys at PSC Steering, who were actually more help than AGR even though i didn't have there parts.

The other thing that i would do (and probably will eventually) is to get PSC's swap kit to install the big saginaw pump. Go to there website and you can find pics of it. the P-series pump moves alot more fluid at higher pressure than the TC-series that you have now. It's expensive but you'll only do it once.

Dingo

Stay away from AGR, unless you want defective parts.
I am running (and highly recommend) a PSC box and I have been very pleased with it.

AGR are garbage. Go with PSC.

No personal experience, but I know two people here in CT who bought AGR boxes. Both arrived badly out of adjustment. The guy I know better was also rather unhappy (aside from the adjustment) because he took AGR's advice and bought the variable ratio box, and the steering ratio across center is so slow that until he got used to it his rig was wandering all over the highway (just as I predicted it would).

Try West Texas Off-Road. AGRs are essentially grossly over-priced rebuilt steering boxes.

I'm running PSC's P pump, box and ram in my comp XJ. It is incredible. To get the pump and resiviour to fit on a stocker could take some work. I already had my air box out so it fit w/no problem. Tom is a great guy to deal with and has many years experience with Nascar steering products. Definitely give him a call...817-270-0102. Chances are he will answer the phone himself.

Alright. That's what I needed to know! I will check out PSC's stuff this weekend. I talked to a few guys at work, and they had never heard of AGR....so.
Thanks.

ok, of the PSC's boxes, which would be best for 75/25 offroad/onroad use?

kind of bring an old post up again, but which psc would be best for mostly on road with a weekend trip every now and then? if it's been answered, i already missed it in my search, so please forgive my newb-ness.

dfreeman616 said:
kind of bring an old post up again, but which psc would be best for mostly on road with a weekend trip every now and then? if it's been answered, i already missed it in my search, so please forgive my newb-ness.
None of them.

The stock steering ratio for the XJ is 14:1. ALL of the XJ boxes they list are variable ratio (13-16:1). The slow part of the ratio is over center, and it gets quicker as it approaches full lock. Some people may not have a problem with this, but I find that it leads to a lot of wander at highway speeds. The steering feels kind of "vague." For a street vehicle I am always concerned about the potential for having to make evasive maneuvers, and slower steering than stock does not meet my criteria as an improvement for making evasive manuevers.

IMHO even 14:1 is too slow. I'd prefer 12:1 if it were available.

Go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto/Kragans/Shucks or NAPA and just order a rebuilt box.

Eagle -
One thing I'm looking into for my wife's 89 (as part of the restomod,) is fitting up a late F-body box - still a metric Saginaw, but should be a much quicker box.

She's almost always on-road, so it should work out. I won't be doing it for a few months, but I'll let everyone know...

5-90

What's a F-body? Is that the Camaro/Firechicken? Should work.

Another 'stay away from AGR' vote.

I'm on my 3rd gearbox and 2nd pump.. The 3rd gearbox doesn't center correctly so it's wrong as well. I finally gave up and will replace it with either PCS or stock.

AGR answer is the same each time, send it back (at my expense) and they will look at it. I'm done throwing more money away.

AGR is Absolute garbage!!!!

Kent

Yah - F-Body = Camaro/Fire. There are a few applications for Metric Saginaw boxes out there, but that's the best one I can think of for a "faster" ratio - unless you want to look into specialty stuff - like in Summit or Jeg's (Saginaw boxes get used in conversions...)

5-90

so what is a good one to get for my application (DD with off roading when i can)? at autozone, they have atsco, how are they? $140 bucks for OEM. not going to bother with direct from jeep, unless they're worth it for some reason. anything else i should check into?

Weasel said:
Durango box, YellaJepp running one, should eb a direct bolt on, got mine for 45 bucks from car-parts.com. 99 or so durango

Did you have to have any of the internals changed? I read a bunch of stuff about some of the Durango boxes needing something removed from the inside or something, so that you retain your full steering range. :bunny: I'm pretty sure my rig needs either a new box or a new pump (steering has gotten stiff lately and won't self-center under about 30* either direction from center) and I was going to go with a Durango box 'til i read the stuff about the innards needing modification.

yeah some of them have internal spacers that need to removed to retain the full steering capabilitys of the XJ.

YELLAHEEP said:
Yup, the '99 Durango box is a direct swap as everyone else has indicated - except for having to space it away from the unibody a bit.

How do you tell if your's has spacers? Simple, use a small punch thru the end of the box's case (there's a small hole around the edge just for this) and tap out the large snap ring that retains the dome shaped end cap. Any good rebuilder shop should have no problem doing this for you before you purchase a box from 'em. Turn the input shaft to press out the end cap and then look at the inside surface of the end cap. If you see 3 raised ledges around the inside surface - you've got spacers. If flat all around, then no spacers.

Removal of the spacers: Either swap out the end cap with one that doesn't have the ledges, or grind 'em off. The other spacer is at the opposite end of the piston chamber. You'll either need to already know how to rebuild the box, or have a rebuilder remove the piston and shaft to get to the spacer behind the piston - pretty complicated if you don't know what you're doing. That spacer looks like a large "rounded triangle" snap ring. Discard that spacer and re-assemble the box. This will give you the maximum "lock-to-lock" throw that the Durango box can have.

Mine works great!

I'm going to tear into mine soon and see if it's got them or not. If it does then I need to decide if I can remove the rest of the stuff with out screwing it up.

and a durango box will go right in an 87 xj? just want to make sure they didn't change them at some point. is there a way to know if it has to have something removed, besides opening it up?

Back