• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shims, different types

ferday

NAXJA Forum User
hi all,

i need some rear axle shims, problem is i'm not sure what degree (measured 5* but likely will need another number thanks to murphy)

my question is: i can get them locally, but the style requires me to cut the centre pin out of the leaf pack and bolt them through. the rubicon express shims APPEAR to just slide over the existing pin rather than cutting it. i would rather not cut the pin since i am getting new DS/SYE when i have $$ and will hopefully eliminate the shims.

Are the rubicon shims as i believe, and is there a benifit with one or the other, also does it matter whether aluminum or steel shims, the AL are much cheaper.

thanks!!

First off,dont use aluminum shims.Second youll have the replace the center pin with either style,the type that slides in between requires a longer pin exposure to go thru the shim and still have proper contact with the perch.

I second all that... Get a pair of new pins and forget aluminum shims ever existed.

If you retain the stock slip-yoke driveshaft, try to get the "up angle" on the pinion a hair less than the "down angle" of the t-case output.

Back