• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Infinity Sound Bar Speaker/Amp Problem

BruteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My '99 Sport has the Infinity sound option, and ever since I bought it (used, 10 months ago) the rear speakers have sounded like crap, really tinny and no power. I replaced the speakers, the ones I removed appeared to be factory. The new speakers....sound just as bad.

I'm guessing this is an amp problem. To make sure, tomorrow I'm going to use one of the old factory speakers to replace the driver's door speaker (which simply blew out-my fault). Some posts I read when searching mentioned the amps being separate from the head unit. Is this the case, and if so, where is the amp located? (I heard some ZJ's had it under the back seat.)

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

I would like it would be like my '95, under the back seat. If its blown, its a low powered amp and you'd be much better off with an aftermarket amp.

BruteXJ said:
Do the XJ's have it under the back seat? I haven't even looked, just seeking information before I go tearing into it.
Nothing to tear into. Just flip the seat bottom up and there it is on the drivers side (97-01).

I have the factory amp. If you have ever folded your seat forward you should have seen it. If not you don't have a factory amp installed. The factory jack, jack handle, and lug wrench also live under the seat, passenger side. Not room for much more under the seat unfortunately.

Yeah, I folded the back seat forward for the first time since I bought it. (My son's child-seat usually is strapped in back there, so I never caught a chance or reason to fold it forward.) Hello! Always wondered where the jack was! (figured it would be near the spare.) 'Lo and behold, there was the amp.

I was hoping for a simple power supply problem, but since there's only the two bundles of wires, two plugs running into the amp and no visible fuses.....I decided to just wiggle the wires and thump it three times...

...and now it works.

And I know where the factory jack is now.

Much thanks for the information.

i gotta go try the wiggle test! the search engine on here is great, this is exactly what my sound bar speakers are like. the fronts sound fine, but no juice from the rears. swapped in a nice upgrade to pioneers and just as bad. so if the wiggle don't work, i'll swap in an amp for the rears.

JEEPZZ said:
Nothing to tear into. Just flip the seat bottom up and there it is on the drivers side (97-01).
is that where the wires for the rear speakers run through cause i bought a factory rear speeaker bar(mine not originally equipped) and was wondering where the wires from the back of the stereo go to.

warwagon98xj said:
is that where the wires for the rear speakers run through cause i bought a factory rear speeaker bar(mine not originally equipped) and was wondering where the wires from the back of the stereo go to.

if you don't have the factory amp then it won't have the wires in the same place. the wireing should be in the headliner, but might not since you didn't have the bar from the beginning. So you will more than likely have to run new wires to the back for it.

:jester: for future reference, electronic components usually don't respond well to the bfh like other jeep parts.

Back