• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IPF Headlights...

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
OK I've searched the threads and can't find a definate answer??

Can I use the IPF H4 headlight replacements with a 55/65w superwhite aftermarket bulb with the stock wiring harness?

If not were is a good/cheap place to pick a aftermarket wiring harness? I've read the threads about making your own but I think I'd rather buy it.

I've got a '97 XJ auto, if that matters?

TDeaton13 said:
OK I've searched the threads and can't find a definate answer??

Can I use the IPF H4 headlight replacements with a 55/65w superwhite aftermarket bulb with the stock wiring harness?

Should be fine since the stock bulbs are around that wattage.

Does anyone know how hard it is to install these wiring kits? Im not very good at wiring, but if its relativly easy, I think I could do it.

The IPF harness is super-easy... I don't imagine any other ones being much different.

Disconnect the battery ;)

Unsnarl the harness

Remove the lights & unplug them from the OEM female sockets. Clean up the terminals on the pass. side.

Sheath & route the two light sockets down to the lamps and the (male) switching socket to the PS, plug all these in. Replace the lights

Install the 3 relays into their sockets, and secure the relay block somewhere out of the way. 2 of them are the same so it's a no-guesser which go where.

Connect the red harness lead to the battery +, and the black harness lead to the battery -.

Connect the battery.

Aim the lights.

As for the original post...The OEM harness 'should be' OK up to 100/80, especially on a newer model, but the lights (OEM or aftermarket H4) will be a bit brighter with the 'new' relay harness.

Last edited:
I installed the those lamps (w/ the 'magic bulbs' = same wattage) about a month ago. Used the stock harness. Works great! I REALLY like these lights!! You should only need to upgrade the harness if you install higher wattage bulbs.

XJ Bebop said:
I installed the those lamps (w/ the 'magic bulbs' = same wattage) about a month ago. Used the stock harness. Works great! I REALLY like these lights!! You should only need to upgrade the harness if you install higher wattage bulbs.

Ditto except have been running for a year or two - a definite must have upgrade from the stock lights.

Does anyone know of a conversion housing that is of good quality besides the IPF or Hella? I ask becuase I want a clear or "diamond cut" style lens, and I purchases some from ebay that suck (i know, cheap = crap), the light patterns aren't even the same on both lenses!

IPF is selling two types of lens housing... the old-type that has the flutes cut into the glass and a "MSR" style that has clear glass and the reflector casts the pattern.

I have no input on the usefulness of the MSR, but I can say only good things about the Hella and original IPF styles.

Starboard M said:
Does anyone know how hard it is to install these wiring kits? Im not very good at wiring, but if its relativly easy, I think I could do it.
Install is no problem. I got the IPF harness at the same time as the lights. I mounted the relays on the passenger side firewall. It was no problem at all, and makes a WORLD of difference. I just didn't want to mess with put all the parts together. The ready made harness was more money, but it was also fast and easy, and works as advertised!

woody said:
IPF is selling two types of lens housing... the old-type that has the flutes cut into the glass and a "MSR" style that has clear glass and the reflector casts the pattern.

I have no input on the usefulness of the MSR, but I can say only good things about the Hella and original IPF styles.

MSR is DOT approved, and from what we've seen it isn't really much different pattern-wise than the original style. They DO look better though...

FWIW, the MSR has been discontinued by ARB indefinitely due to quality control issues. Fingerprints on the inside of the glass, bad seals, etc. They told me that they had more complaints with the MSR, so they decided against keeping them around.

Back