• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing liftgate trim panel 1996XJ

Charlie_Dee

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how to remove the liftgate trim panel on a 96 XJ without breaking the retainers on the trim panel? I've tried trim removal tools, but the retainers still break. The white plastic plugs that attach the trem panel are in so tight that their heads break off when I try to pull them out...even when I do it slowly and gently.

Regretfully, no mater how many times I have done it, it always seems the a break at least one of them, found that most autoparts places have the retaining clips in there help section, got me a pack of $20 of then\m for about $3. Dont really get pissed anymore when one snaps

you can do what the lin k says but you only need 6 screws. 1 for each corner and one on each side of the lock mechanism bump. use i would glue in the threaded plugs and then just screw it in. worked fine for me.

SteveT said:
Or, there's this:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=53

Going to do this when I get time.

Steve

Now, with this Idea...... go to the fabric shop and get the snap covers and snap heads. If its a good shop, get them to press in a fabric color that matches your interior. When you are done installing your panel, snap the "buttons" on and what a difference than having Screw heads showing...
Sorry, No pics, but it looks great.

Back