• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44, dana 60

JAGx1414

NAXJA Forum User
ive been looking around i cant find anywhere that has dana 44 or 60 with all that you need. i am looking to upgrade my rear axle... yea i even searched but all i got was people selling parts of dana 44 nd 60

JAGx1414 said:
ive been looking around i cant find anywhere that has dana 44 or 60 with all that you need. i am looking to upgrade my rear axle... yea i even searched but all i got was people selling parts of dana 44 nd 60

Grab any 4x4 magazine, they're all full of ads for companies that sell complete axle assemblies. A few that come to mind are Currie, Dynatrac, Tri-County Gear, Hicks 4x4, and DriveTrain Direct. All of these happen to be in So Cal, but there are others in other parts of the country.

JAGx1414 said:
i am looking to upgrade my rear axle...

Your head will begin to hurt after awhile. Sooooo many choices, some will scare the H3LL out of your check book.

yup yup yup

a drop in rear axle will cost you... about the same as the tool cost if you DIY... but time is money...

JAGx1414 said:

Also, if you search around, there is pretty good information about finding and swapping in a rear D44 from an XJ. It's a totally bolt in swap, no welding required, and is a good way to go, giving you bigger brakes as well as stronger gears, axles, and housing. A Ford 8.8 axle out of an Explorer is also a popular swap, but you need cutting and welding to be done to remove and add the mounts.

Look for a member here 'yellowxj'.

He is a friend of mine and we BOLTED in a D-60 full floater from a 3/4 ton dodge truck. Yes...BOLTED in with ZERO modifications. PM him and he can tell you what year it was from. I think it cost him well under $500 from the boneyard.

What did you do for lower shock mounts? The Dodge 3/4ton D60 I used bolted up perfectly at the leafs but I had to fab up some lower shock mounts. The rubber brake line was even the perfect length for my 7" lift. Also what did you do for the e-brake lines? One was too short and neither matched up with XJ bracketry. Also the pinion on the D60 is so long you may have to shorten your driveshaft or move the axle back. I relocated my axle back 2" and the Driveshaft just fits.

Yeah it bolts up but I wouldn't quite say ZERO modifications.

D60s are big, heavy and wide. If you don't want to go full width and ATLEAST 35" tires, go for a D44.

if you're buying a built axle and want the best thing out there for 33-39" tires I would call up Currie and get a 9" made and stuff it with a third from TrueHi9. Should run between 2 and 3 grand depending on what options you go with.

http://www.truehi9.com
http://www.currieenterprises.com/

cLAYH said:
What did you do for lower shock mounts? The Dodge 3/4ton D60 I used bolted up perfectly at the leafs but I had to fab up some lower shock mounts. The rubber brake line was even the perfect length for my 7" lift. Also what did you do for the e-brake lines? One was too short and neither matched up with XJ bracketry. Also the pinion on the D60 is so long you may have to shorten your driveshaft or move the axle back. I relocated my axle back 2" and the Driveshaft just fits.

Yeah it bolts up but I wouldn't quite say ZERO modifications.

D60s are big, heavy and wide. If you don't want to go full width and ATLEAST 35" tires, go for a D44.

alright thanks umm i have rancho 5100 shocks my ebrake lines are long enough

Back