• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question and Opinion

jeepbme

NAXJA Forum User
I have Rusty's 3" coils in front with RS9000x's all around.
The current add a leaf on the rear I believe is 4", not sure, it was on when purchased. I was wanting to level it out so it's not doing the nose dive thing in the from and hopefully soften up the ride in the rear.

Question: Should I remove the current add leaf and go with 3" blocks in rear or if this even possible on an XJ or should I go with 2.5 RE Add Leaf to replace the current?

Would go with Rusty's AAL but he and the site say's there smallest is 3.5".

Would removing the current aal which would leave 4 leafs left in the rear and a lift block be a problem.

Comfort and no money is what im wanting and dealing with.

I know the best way is a complete pack but thats not possible and im not too crazy about the shackle deal either.

Hope to get your opinions...
Thanks
Daily driver w/ some weekend fun
97 XJ Auto 4.0

With few exceptions, comfort is NOT equal to No Money.
I would stay away from blocks. That will ruin your spring in no time...and it is not exactly the safest way to lift a vehicle.
If you want comfort, stay away from poly bushings....they cause more of the road vibration to be transfered to your vehicle....stock rubber rides much better.

If you want a lift...then you will just need to save your money and buy springs.

For what it's worth... I have a '99 that's been well used (nearly 200K on it). I added RE's 1410 AAL to the stock pack and went from 16 1/2 to 20 inches. It has been stable at 20 inches for about 4 months, despite being loaded with building materials, tools, mulch, and all the home owner stuff. I'm not at all displeased with the extra lift, but 2 1/2 inches is a conservative estimate.

The ride is stiffer than stock, but not unpleasant - and that is with a 60 mile commute each way to work.

I would definitely stay away from blocks.

My best suggestion is to search here before you purchase anything. It seems like people have had good success with home-made leaf packs from dakota's, S-10's etc. The benefit for you would be the ability to mix individual leafs from both the stock pack and the donor pack until you get the lift and ride you are looking for.

Yes, I would do the add-a-leaf before I did blocks. If you springs are old and just saging, I would repalce them. I would not waste money on longer shackles....save the money and get decent springs.

I've done all of the options (except blocks...that's a no brainer)...I would have saved money and a LOT of time by going with springs the first time around.

jeepbme said:
ive heard that the the 2.5 RE's measure out about 3" ...what shocks are you using with them?

New OEM stock shocks (got them cheap) with RRO's BPE's. The BPE's drop the mounting position about 1 inch lower than stock reducing some of the effect of the lift.

jeepbme said:
I have the BPE on the front...but that shouldnt eliminate any of the the lift. The springs is what give you your height or stance

I should have been more clear... The BPE's simply move the shock mount 1 inch lower than stock. This allows me to use the stock length shocks without over-extending them (much).

jeepbme said:
Question: Should I remove the current add leaf and go with 3" blocks in rear or if this even possible on an XJ or should I go with 2.5 RE Add Leaf to replace the current?

If you want to drop the rear a little, just take out the stock second leaf (the leaf that now sits under the aal). That will soften the spring rate up a little.

Dirk beat me to it, but I was going to suggest removing the shortest stock leaf, or maybe the third stock leaf. That'll cost you only as much as you pay for a couple of new centering pins and maybe a few rebound clips. Or you could drop $50 on a Rancho AAL to replace the one that's in there. Rancho rates it at 2" to 2-1/2" in the Cherokee.

Whatever you do, you don't want blocks, and the CERTAINLY don't want 3" worth of blocks.

would four leaves be adequit enough or should i stick with five as current?? Im sure I didnt the ad...word correctly.

Eagle...im not sure why you suggested the rancho...is it because of the price or is the ride better? The RE 2.5 is new and local for 74 and the Rusty's 3.5 is 75 shipped. I believe they come with the pins to install.

Highmiles said:
For what it's worth... I have a '99 that's been well used (nearly 200K on it). I added RE's 1410 AAL to the stock pack and went from 16 1/2 to 20 inches. It has been stable at 20 inches for about 4 months, despite being loaded with building materials, tools, mulch, and all the home owner stuff. I'm not at all displeased with the extra lift, but 2 1/2 inches is a conservative estimate.

The ride is stiffer than stock, but not unpleasant - and that is with a 60 mile commute each way to work.

I would definitely stay away from blocks.

My best suggestion is to search here before you purchase anything. It seems like people have had good success with home-made leaf packs from dakota's, S-10's etc. The benefit for you would be the ability to mix individual leafs from both the stock pack and the donor pack until you get the lift and ride you are looking for.

To start, the use of blocks is not that bad, IF you use a traction bar. The question is why would you want to use a block and trac. bar over shackle or aal. Shackles, (this part I know only from reading other posts) change the angle of the spring and put uneven stresses in it. The aal however disrupts the parabolic curve. Leaf springs that have a parabolic shape have a constant stress throughout the length of the spring ie no stress concentrations. (just learned this in a machine design class) So aal's wont last long when compared to full pack. Im going to be installing a stock set of xj springs with 100miles on them, a block and a trac bar to prevent the axle wrap that will happen with blocks. Since I'll have full unaltered spring packs I will get long life, comfort, smooth spring rate and with the traction bar wont have to deal with s-curve issues.

Last edited:
Blocks.....?
See the recent post from the Clemson guy about how blocks screwed EVERYONE wanting to play on Kodak Rock at Uwharrie..... but it's been said a million times before.....

Back