• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purchasing tubing...questions

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I want to pick up some 2" OD x 1.5" ID, .25" wall tubing for my new long arms. I know what DOM is, but what about chromoly? What specifically do I ask for at the steel place? I think DOM is a different animal than chromoly, but is chromoly DOM made with a different grade of steel? What is the real life difference between these two? I think standard DOM is easier to come by around here. Thanks for any input. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Hey, I want to pick up some 2" OD x 1.5" ID, .25" wall tubing for my new long arms. I know what DOM is, but what about chromoly? What specifically do I ask for at the steel place? I think DOM is a different animal than chromoly, but is chromoly DOM made with a different grade of steel? What is the real life difference between these two? I think standard DOM is easier to come by around here. Thanks for any input. Jeff

We use 4130 chromo, but it's likely overkill in this size. RE uses 4130 as well (or at least, they used to). The difference is simply in material property, 4130 has more elasticity than regular mild steel in its various grades. Expect to pay about 50% more for 4130. I pay $13 a foot in that size, but I get a very good price. Seamless is even more, but really is overkill, It's manufactured differently than welded tube:

"The seamless tubing process is a method of manufacturing steel tubing without having to weld down the length of a seam. In this process, the starting point is a solid circular billet. The billet is then pierced or extruded to form a hollow tube. The tube is then reduced to size by 'pilgering' or 'rocking'. The cleaning and annealing process is the same as for the [welded and drawn] tubing, thus ensuring that the uniformity of tube and symmetrical material properties are maintained. This method of manufacture is generally more expensive than the welded and drawn method and provides a tube whose wall thickness is not quite as accurate."

Why isn't this in Advanced?

CRASH

CRASH said:
We use 4130 chromo, but it's likely overkill in this size. RE uses 4130 as well (or at least, they used to). The difference is simply in material property, 4130 has more elasticity than regular mild steel in its various grades. Expect to pay about 50% more for 4130. I pay $13 a foot in that size, but I get a very good price. Seamless is even more, but really is overkill, It's manufactured differently than welded tube:

"The seamless tubing process is a method of manufacturing steel tubing without having to weld down the length of a seam. In this process, the starting point is a solid circular billet. The billet is then pierced or extruded to form a hollow tube. The tube is then reduced to size by 'pilgering' or 'rocking'. The cleaning and annealing process is the same as for the [welded and drawn] tubing, thus ensuring that the uniformity of tube and symmetrical material properties are maintained. This method of manufacture is generally more expensive than the welded and drawn method and provides a tube whose wall thickness is not quite as accurate."

Why isn't this in Advanced?

CRASH

It's not in Advanced because I'm not really all that advanced. I'm kind of an advanced wannabe. :) I figured more folks might see it and perhaps have a good reply. Hell, move it if you want! :laugh3: So talk to me in dummy terms: When I call a supply place what do I ask for? 4130 Chromoly tubing? I need a 5' piece. I'll probably ask for DOM also just to compare costs and availability. Jeff

Jeff-

DOM is a manufacturing technique, whereas Chromoly is a material. You could theoretically get Chromoly in either DOM or ERW, just like mild steel. I hope that clarifies it for you a little bit.

Yeah, that helps a little bit. So what is the correct term for whatever you get when you ask for DOM? What is the correct term for the same thing in chromoly? Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Yeah, that helps a little bit. So what is the correct term for whatever you get when you ask for DOM? What is the correct term for the same thing in chromoly? Jeff

You can ask for drawn over mandrel (DOM) chromo, which is the way it usually comes. Seamless chromo would be another, more expensive option.

You only need 5 feet? How long did the LCA's end up?

CRASH

34.5" center to center on the lower arms. The RE spuds and stuff knock about 6" off that per side. So, I really only need about 28" per side. Doubled, that is 56" which is pretty close to 5'. Jeff

Well, that's a new one on me. So what is involved in heat treating the links? Why would you have to anyway? So one welds a little on the ends, the middle of the link has not been changed in any way from it's manufactured state. Clue me in. Jeff

chromo doesn't come heat-treated, for links the general opinion is a Rockwell hardness just under 40 is good. call some heat-treating shops in the area. it should be about $100-150 for a few links.

however, unless you're being really anal about weight, I would just go a touch thicker and DOM and not worry about it. 2" .375 wall DOM will be cheaper than heat treated 4130 and still plenty strong, and you've only added a few extra pounds and it is weight down low. Even 2" .250 wall DOM will be enough if you're not one to beat on them.

Trust me, regular 1020 DOM in 2x.25 is PLENTY strong out to about 48" or so.

The material properties of 4130 are more elastic in an untreated state as well. They will be more so when treated, but I'm not sure it's worth the expense. I've always just preheated the weld area and slow cooled in a bucket of sand to help normalize the heat affected zone. Never had a break in any of the 4130 i've welded on. *knocking on wood*

I don't think RE heat treats their links, either.

BrettM said:
chromo doesn't come heat-treated, for links the general opinion is a Rockwell hardness just under 40 is good. call some heat-treating shops in the area. it should be about $100-150 for a few links.

however, unless you're being really anal about weight, I would just go a touch thicker and DOM and not worry about it. 2" .375 wall DOM will be cheaper than heat treated 4130 and still plenty strong, and you've only added a few extra pounds and it is weight down low. Even 2" .250 wall DOM will be enough if you're not one to beat on them.

E4130 tube is supplied in hot rolled annealed, and cold finished annealed.

HR: Tensile= 88000, Yield= 60000, Elong % in 2"= 30, Brinell= 179
CR: Tensile= 98000, Yield= 82000, Elong % in 2"= 20, Brinell= 201

It is very common for suppliers to sell you HR at CR prices. If you do not specify...

E4130 is one of the easiest materials to work with from a heat treating standpoint. It is forgiving to heat ranges, times, and normalizing. There is simply no excuse to pay for E4130, and not heat treat it.

Harden: 1550-1600F, water quench, temper.
Normalize: 1600-1700F, air cool.
Anneal: 1525-1575F, furnace cool.
Temper: 800 - 1200F

Typical water quech and temper ( 800F ) properties:

Tensile= 200000, Yield= 170000, Elong % in 2"= 16.5, Brinell= 375

All factors are easily customized, oil quenching, and temper have various effects. Most shops will need the Brinell or Rockwell you want to go to. A set of links would be a minimum charge for most shops. I won't get into costs, other than it'll cost you a hell of alot more than it costs me. :D

--ron

Gotta agree with Brett on this one, no point in going Chromo if you're not going to heat treat.
The other consideration is that unless you know how to weld Chromo, your welds will be a weak link. I'd take DOM over Chromo (even heat treated Chromo) every day, only because I know that MY welded DOM will be stronger than MY welded Chromo.

Paul

Go 6100 series aluminum or go home. :D

CRASH

CRASH said:
Trust me, regular 1020 DOM in 2x.25 is PLENTY strong out to about 48" or so.
2X

A better home for this fine thread.

Well, I got a quote of $50 for DOM and something like $136 for chromoly. This is for 5' of 2" x 0.25 wall. Apparently, the chromoly price is way up there, but how about the DOM? Looks like $10 per foot and available now. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Well, I got a quote of $50 for DOM and something like $136 for chromoly. This is for 5' of 2" x 0.25 wall. Apparently, the chromoly price is way up there, but how about the DOM? Looks like $10 per foot and available now. Jeff[/QUOTE

Well, I was giving prices by memory and I was WAY off on the price for the chromoly. My quote says $340!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also asked about a piece of 1.25 x0.281 x 4' DOM for a tie rod and was quoted $110 for that. Both the 1.25" and the 2" DOM are for HOT Rolled too. Jeff

Back