• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew Tie Rod Questions

JONNYD

NAXJA Forum User
I have some 1.25" DOM, 0.38" wall chromolly that would be perfect for a HD Tie rod. I am cut to length and ready to tap the ends, but I want to make sure I tap them correctly. Stock tie rods (2001) are 11/16-18 threads, right? One LH, one RH. I work at a machine shop and have the taps, I just need to make sure the size and pitch are correct. I tried to search with limited results. Everybody says go with the 3/4" HD ends, but the stock ones look to be sufficient. Hook me up.
-Jon

Part numbers ES140R and ES140L.

While your making it you might as well machine some wrench flats on the ends to facilitate easier toe adjustments.

Check out the Big Daddy off-road tie-rod.

HTH

Thanks guys. Ya, I saw the big daddy tie rod. I will have wrench flats. I also plan to use jam nuts instead of the oem strap deals...just have to see if we have any 11/16-18 jam nuts!!! Thanks.

JONNYD said:
Thanks guys. Ya, I saw the big daddy tie rod. I will have wrench flats. I also plan to use jam nuts instead of the oem strap deals...just have to see if we have any 11/16-18 jam nuts!!! Thanks.

You could always make some since you already have the taps... use some hex stock.

Back