• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project bumper recycle!

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Project recycled bumper

Well I feel I'm doing my bit for the environment and recycling some ARB bars ;)

Just started and have some progress shots.

ARBbar001.jpg

Well here is 2 of the 3 bars I have to work with. All 3 bars are to fit a 80 series Landcruiser which I like the shape of the most and what I made my rear bumper from already.

ARBbar002.jpg

Well didn't take long to rip the first one apart. I only needed the one end from this to replaced a badly twisted one on the third bar I have. Cant see in the shots but this had the mounts bent across at about a 40 degree angle which had buckled the centre section. Looks like I wont need any parts from the white winch one at all. This one looks as though it has been just knocked back on one side a bit but was very hard to tell until I put a straight edge on it. Might make a good project for someone who wants a winch mount which I didn't.

ARBbar003.jpg

You can see here how I have filled in the old indicator hole. Not needed as I wont have the top bars interfering with the stock ones. I panel beated the damage it had and now it is nice and square too.

ARBbar004.jpg

This is the third bar which only had the end damaged on it.

ARBbar005.jpg

Not much left of it now!

ARBbar006.jpg

Just laid it out after filling in the other indicator hole but much still to do as is way too wide for the Jeep and I want to change some angles yet plus the new mounts and a few other things.

Hope to get more done tomorrow. ;)

IH8RDS said:
Good Idea! Where did you get the old ARB's from? I have one residing up front on mine. Please post pictures of it on the back.

There is a write up on my site on fitting the rear ARB that I did years ago.

ArbRear.jpg

Here is the best shot anyway.

Today's effort below. Didn't get as much done to look at as there was a lot of trimming a bit, trying it, trimming a bit more and so on. Also had to help quite a few other people out that dropped by needing welding done!

ARBbar007.jpg

This is a rear Hayman Reese hitch and step off a Rodeo that I picked up. I am going to use this as part of my bumper.

ARBbar008.jpg

Wont be using too much of it as you can see.

ARBbar009.jpg

The other bumper has been taken off ready for the next step.

ARBbar010.jpg

You can see how I incorporated the hitch in my old bar that I made from a Landcruiser Prado ARB bullbar. Notice how I had a bar operate the hitch pin from under the guard.

ARBbar011.jpg

View from the front showing how the number plate kept the receiver hidden.

ARBbar012.jpg

Some test fitting to see how it looks.

ARBbar013.jpg

ARBbar014.jpg

Just deciding on the rake of the front. Need to leave enough for protection but still not hinder the approach angle. Might still tuck the corner back a little more. Here it is sitting at 40 mm at the corner with the centre section at 60 mm projection. Don't want it too flat either as want to protect the radiator.

dude - you are a genious...
you give me inspiration to get out and grind on my junk, but its 2:00am here and that doesnt work with the neighbors...

XJ_ranger said:
you give me inspiration to get out and grind on my junk, but its 2:00am here and that doesnt work with the neighbors...
x2, except that its 4am

XJ_ranger said:

do it anyway!! i do all the time! and shoot off a few m-80 fire-crackers and howl at the moon too,
no uninvited guests step onto my property,, bc they think i'm crazy as He!! LOL!!

yeah thats bumpers is lookin RAD!!
trim it up to match those flares on the outsides & it'll look super!

Thanks for the comments guys and taking an interest in the build up. ;) I did not get much done today as only had some of the afternoon free. It is also getting down to the time where much time is spent but not a lot to show!

ARBbar015.jpg

Did more work on the hitch that is going to be fitted. I cut off what is going to be the front face as the front of the bumper will be replacing this so no need to double up. You might noticed that a section on the middle is cut back a bit further. This will be plated and sit behind a cut out in the bumper face. Will make more sense later.

ARBbar016.jpg

I did also get the mounts finished out of 1/4" plate. They are the same design as the factory tow hooks. I dont like to incorporate the steering bolts as dont want those sheared off if a hit a Roo! Also I am under 33" tall tyres and have a steering box brace.

Last edited:
Update from today's effort.
Started by sanding off most of the power coat so I was sure to get everything flush and square when fitting the side pieces.

ARBbar017.jpg

Once I had finally settled on the angle I wanted, the fun was getting it tacked exactly flush and at the right height and angle. As this angle is less then what was before I have the fun of cutting little wedges to fill in the gaps.

ARBbar018.jpg

I fully weld it by either leaving around a 2 mm gap or running the cut off wheel down it to get full penetration. Even though the weld comes through to the other side, I still place a cover weld over the join on the inside which is not ground back like the front face to give added strength ( will be stronger at the weld than the surrounding metal ).

ARBbar019.jpg

It is not just the top that needs doing as I have had to add the wedges underneath as well. Here it shows one piece welded in and ground back before the next piece is added above it.

ARBbar020.jpg

The top piece added and then the final weld to the joining plate put down.

ARBbar021.jpg

Here you can see the test fit and the final angle finished for that join only. The corner will be the next altered as it will be pulled across tighter and the bar slid across so more protection is given around the side while still ending up flush with the flare.

ARBbar022.jpg

Here you can see too how much has to be cut from the overall length as goes much further along the grille than the nearly finished side.

Last edited:
As they say, it is the details that can make or break a project. So here are some that has taken up my time today.

ARBbar023.jpg

To pull the end around tighter I had to cut along the radius and all the way down the join along the bottom. A wedge is then cut out along the top face to the degrees I needed to increase the corner by.

ARBbar024.jpg

Once that is done I pulled the end around and tacked it in its new position. I then cut another wedge out so I could tuck the side across to follow the angle of the flare.

ARBbar025.jpg

This gives you a view of new side angle and radius to the corner as well.

ARBbar026.jpg

Another view where you can see that the same amount of protection at the start of the corner indicator as well as the end around the side.

ARBbar027.jpg

The next fold I am making is to follow the side of the flare around the corner. To do this without cutting it right off, I cut through the top and bottom folds and then scored a line with the cut off wheel where I wanted it to fold. This is then welded back over on the inside.

ARBbar028.jpg

ARBbar029.jpg

Here you can see that it is pulled around ready for the excess to be cut off which will have to wait until tomorrow now.

Man - if you ever decide to design of those rear bumpers with a swing-away tire carrier option, you're gonna make a gazillion dollars.
That bumper is NICE!
Great job... love the cutout for your exhaust tip.

Thanks for the comments guys ;) A lot of hard work but you forget that soon enough when you get it right. If you take short cuts they will still annoy you years later. ;)
No up dates today as I just duplicated everything that I did to the RHS piece to the left ready to weld in place. Tomorrow will be my last day ( so long as it does not rain ) for a couple of months that I can work on it as leaving for holidays to the Middle East ( Turkey, Syria, Jordan Lebanon and Egypt ) at the end of next week.

Remember too that my last custom bar with the same hidden hitch as this one will have is ready for sale for $525 USD to anyone that wants it including the number plate mount and recovery hitch. See my site for the write up ( http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoARBnew6.htm ) or there are plenty of shots of it when it featured in the magazine write up. ( http://go.jeep-xj.info/4wdMonthly.htm )

what are you gonna be doing in lebanon? i'll be there at the end of july

Ramsey said:
what are you gonna be doing in lebanon? i'll be there at the end of july
Just site seeing and will be there at the end of July too. I will be with a tour though in a 6x6 truck that we are taking through the Sahara Desert as well.
http://www.kumuka.com.au/PDFs/ME7.pdf

the ruins of balbeck are pretty interesting. the best thing by far has got to be the food though :D you should definetly check out beirut though, lovely city. were not THAT unsettled in beirut, no worries mate :cheers:

Back