• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack design/ideas/questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
My plan is to build more of a flat platform to strap things to instead of having a traditional rack with the sides. Anyways, let me know what you think:

For starters the main rails of the factory rack will get removed and replaced with angle iron (3/16" or 1/8", not sure yet). In between the angle iron (new rails) I will run 1/2" square tubing (probably 1/8") for the main crossbrace pieces (not sure yet how many I want to run, but I think I'd want one every 1ft ~ 1.5ft). That would be covered with a floor of sorts (I am think of something that I think is called expanded steel).

Now here comes the tough part: I want to have upper side rails (kind of like the Farmer Matt rack): I am thinking about using either 1/8" or 3/16" 1" (or so) square tubing. That tubing would be attached to the angle iron (that's bolted to the roof) in no less then 4 locations (front, two center, 1 rear).

The main concerns that I have:
1. Will I be fine if I go 1/8" all around? 3/16" is not that much heavier, but it all adds up.
2. Will the main crossbraces be fine by themselves or should I look into reinforcing them a bit more? I figure that even if I do them every 1.5ft they should stiffen things up pretty nicely.
3. Will 4 attachment points for the side rails be enough?

I know there are probably other things that I've missed/overlooked. Do point them out as I wanna do this only once (famous last words :D)

1.) 1/8" is perfect for what you are thinking, the less weight you put into it the better. Plus with what you have in mind for a design, going to 3/16" will offer zero to little benefit.

2.)You might be ok depending on what kind of gear you're going to put up there, it wouldn't hurt to add a brace down the middle between the crosspieces. I'd be more prone to use 1"x1/8" square.

3.) Should be okie dokie!

Also instead of using expanded steel, unless you plan on something faily light guage, maybe look into expanded aluminum. Costs a lot more but saves a lot of weight too.

AJsArmor said:
1.) 1/8" is perfect for what you are thinking, the less weight you put into it the better. Plus with what you have in mind for a design, going to 3/16" will offer zero to little benefit.
Cool, cause that's going to shave nearly 30% of the weight.
2.)You might be ok depending on what kind of gear you're going to put up there, it wouldn't hurt to add a brace down the middle between the crosspieces. I'd be more prone to use 1"x1/8" square.
Hmmm I wonder how much "stiffer" under weight the 1" is over 1/2" at the length that I will use. That might be something worth experimenting with. Maybe I'll alternate between the two and run a brace between the 1" pieces to support the 1/2" ones.
Also instead of using expanded steel, unless you plan on something faily light guage, maybe look into expanded aluminum. Costs a lot more but saves a lot of weight too.
In the beginning I might not even put any floor in because with the crossbraces at every 1.5ft and brace running down the middle I might not even need it. Good point on the aluminum though.

I made mine from 1" 120 wall round. I used a flat 1.25 wide, 1/8 thick stock as a base that is bolted to the stock roof rack holes. The side pieces sit 2.5 in above the roof line and the spreaders are .5in off the roof in the center. While I love having a low profile rack to strap things to I would make a few changes if I did it again. I'd make the side rails from 1.5 and have them 2" from the roof, then I'd use 1" for the spreaders but I'd put a bend about 6" from the ends. I'd do this because my straight spreaders will bow if a fair amount of weight is put on them, adding a bend in the tube will prevent this.

Heres a pick with tire on top; If you want more, clearer picks go to www.webshots.com and search for "xjcrawlr", I've got a few in my gallery there.

5l9fsy

jjmat3 said:
Sorta like this?
rack.jpg

Imagine it w/out the sides.
rack4.jpg

The center of the rack sits about 1/2" off the roof.

Close, but lower on the sides and then probably bending up the center sections might be a good idea :D

OK, I got things started today and this is what I got so far.
I already see one fault with that I have: The pieces that are going to go to the side rail are bent down too much in the front (I measured twice and somehow I still screwed it up). I think I have an idea of how to get around it though: I'll angle the rails out to counteract the bend down.

Back