• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex-a-lite 110

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
Since I don't have a mechanical fan (previous owner removed it and put a VERY LITTLE electric one (maybe 8") I am going to replace it, and i'm bringing it back to stock 'kinda'... but the thing is now I am thinking about getting a flex-a-lite 110, and was looking at the wiring diagrams and have a few questions:

Does it come wth the Temperature Control Sensor Bulb?
If it does, can you set the temperature at which to turn it on / off from?

If it doesn't it looks like I will get the adjustable fan controller...

(BTW: Yes I called Summit and the person I talked to couldn't tell me if it comes with it or not... so I figure i've read a lot about them here, someone should know & searched, but couldn't find a def. answer!)

Thanks,
Drew

I'm sure others will chime in here, but put the factory fan back on. The fan and shroud are about $50 together at the dealer, and the fan clutch is available at any parts outlet for not much more than that. No worries about broken blades with the metal fan, no electrical gremlins to deal with on the trail, just a fan that works well all the time. Electric seems like a great idea, but it isn't. I've been through the electrical fan phase of building a Jeep, and just like a 3" lift or a limited slip, it may seem good when you install it, but you're just going to end up taking it back off when it stops doing what you want it to.

ah ha, I see. the 110 comes with it, and the 120 doesn't.

$50 at the dealership? Includes the fan, clutch, & shroud? not bad being the clutch itself is about $40 from what I heard...(Ok read again lol, that doesn't include the clutch...)

See my original plan was to go to pick & pull grab the fan & shroud, then go buy a new clutch at a parts store.

Pick and pull would work if you could get the fan out without bending the crap out of it removing the thing. I would have just put my factory one back in if I hadn't wrapped the blades around the clutch when I took it out to make room for the electrical fan. Those nuts that hold the clutch on are a beotch to get off.

Dual electric fans DO work provided they have enough combined cfm pulling power and they're properly shrouded. My set up works great even on a 115*F summer day and I have a 4.6L stroker to keep cool, not a 4.0.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

I run the Flex-a-lite 210... I think. Dual low profile fans.

They cool the thing down in a hurry. Plus with the combonation of a 3 core radiator and all new cooling system components, there isn't much trouble with heat.

However, I have broken a blade which did destroy a motor. You just have to make sure you wire an override off switch, and turn them off in water, or puddles. That is how I broke mine. I let a girl drive through a 12-18" deep puddle at 20mph. ;)

I thought about wiring a second electric fan in various ways... all of that thinking about HOW, was more effort than it took to remove and reinstall a new fan clutch and hit my fan with a coat of black spray paint for fun.

Bring your PB blaster to the yard and buy a coke first thing.. spray PB.. drink coke remove fan... be on your merry way... you'll need a 13MM open end for the fan and the clutch and an 8mm socket to get the shroud off..

Bring your leather gloves there's lots of sharp stuff down there to skin your knuckles on.

So I started installing my flex-a-lite electric fan like...

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/06_jun/cooling/cooling1.html

but I ran into a problem with the mounting. For some reason, my radiator is shorter than the fan. With the radiator resting on the stock fan shroud supports (which is pretty much where the radiator ends), the fan peeks up above the top radiator support.

flex1.jpg

Has anyone had the same thing happen. I guess maybe my 3 core radiator is a bit shorter than stock, since I heard the 110 is suppose to be the exact same height. Should I cut the stock shroud supports and let the fan sit lower than the radiator or should I try to let peek out above and build a shroud? Maybe I can cut my stock shroud and use the top part (the area with the belt routing sticker) as the shroud...?

flex2.jpg

i've run just about every possible variant of the Crappy 110's. Ive run one and the stock electric, one and the stock mech, and dual.

Besides the fans not pulling enough CFM, the blades shedding for no apperant reason, the housings warping from the heat. the seal's wearing a hole in the rad core, and the shroud blocking to much air at freeway speeds, generally they SUCK.

If any one doesn't believe me, i've got 3 of the POS's that all need blades.
Make an offer and you can have them, Hell i'll even through a bottle of tylenol, so you can deal with the headaches.

Dingo

Citat3962 said:
I thought about wiring a second electric fan in various ways... all of that thinking about HOW, was more effort than it took to remove and reinstall a new fan clutch and hit my fan with a coat of black spray paint for fun.

Bring your PB blaster to the yard and buy a coke first thing.. spray PB.. drink coke remove fan... be on your merry way... you'll need a 13MM open end for the fan and the clutch and an 8mm socket to get the shroud off..

Bring your leather gloves there's lots of sharp stuff down there to skin your knuckles on.
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to bring my 13mm ratcheting wrench... hehe i love them! :)

Thayer said:
So I started installing my flex-a-lite electric fan like...

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/06_jun/cooling/cooling1.html

but I ran into a problem with the mounting. For some reason, my radiator is shorter than the fan. With the radiator resting on the stock fan shroud supports (which is pretty much where the radiator ends), the fan peeks up above the top radiator support.
Has anyone had the same thing happen. I guess maybe my 3 core radiator is a bit shorter than stock, since I heard the 110 is suppose to be the exact same height. Should I cut the stock shroud supports and let the fan sit lower than the radiator or should I try to let peek out above and build a shroud? Maybe I can cut my stock shroud and use the top part (the area with the belt routing sticker) as the shroud...?

The radiator core for the xjs are 31" x 11". The flexalite fan (110/120) is about 2 1/2" taller than the radiator.

I used three 10" perma cool high performance fans (1250 cfm each/3750 cfm total) and the flex-a-lite VSC controller.
triplecoolingfan57mj.jpg

triplecoolingfan43bd.jpg

triplecoolingfan23lo.jpg

triplecoolingfan13df.jpg

corbinafly how long have you had them installed? Any problems or issues with them? How much for the entire setup? Looks like a very nice and clean install.

AARON

Heres my trick for removing the xj fan. Drape a big towel over the radiator. This minimizes cussing. Use the PB, bring a variety of 13mm sockets/wrenches (gear rachet very nice) and a piece of wood to jam against the fan clutch, to keep the fan it from moving. The soft wood shouldn't damage the fan as long as youre careful. The wood is also useful for tensioning belts. Anyway take off the fan then the fan clutch if you need that or its pully. Hang the fan out of the way then go after the fan clutch, once its gone, its easy to pull out the fan.

MrShoeBoy said:
corbinafly how long have you had them installed? Any problems or issues with them? How much for the entire setup? Looks like a very nice and clean install.

AARON
I put them in a couple of weeks after I put in the 4.6 stroker which was in December. No problems what so ever since. I bought the fans and controller from Summit Racing. The fans were about $85 each and the controller was about $78. Other items I used were a fuse block, fuses, wires, and split loom to make everything look as clean as possible. Oh yeah, a couple pieces of aluminum angle to make the brackets for the fans.

K

Back