• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year

Swap

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ and i need to know what year did they start to use the larger u-joint on the axles. Reason, I got wish-bone in my jeep and i need to replace the front diff., took out the knuckle on the pass. side. I'm going to the pick-n-pull and want to make sure i get the right axles with it.

'95 for XJs without ABS, I think around '92 for XJs with ABS.

You can also use ZJ Grand Cherokees for axles. They are the same.

ZJ's are low pinion. The shafts are interchangeable but the housing and gearset are different. TJ shafts also work but the housing and gearset again are low pinion.

on the zj note,
I swapped a shaft and hub from a 93zj to a 89ish xj and the hub flange is bigger and I hadda use the zj disc too

Lawn Cher' said:
ZJ's are low pinion. The shafts are interchangeable but the housing and gearset are different. TJ shafts also work but the housing and gearset again are low pinion.
True. I may have misunderstood. I thought he was shopping for shafts and a knuckle. If you need a complete axle, you have to go XJ to get high pinion.

Thanks for the info. guys. but after 3 pick-n-pulls and found nothing decent. Yards that already have them pulled for you want $500-$700. thats crazy. So, I'm thinking, there i go again "thinking" just go and get the houseing and up-grade the axle to 30 spline (38% stronger) and carrier and locker as well, (hybird 44).

Back