• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAPA and Mopar water pumps

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
From reading the various threads does NAPA normally carry the OEM water pump, mine started weeping this weekend so it's getting a new rad, pump, hoses and tstat either today or tomorrow. Also anybody know what brand carquest carries ?

RichP said:
From reading the various threads does NAPA normally carry the OEM water pump, mine started weeping this weekend so it's getting a new rad, pump, hoses and tstat either today or tomorrow. Also anybody know what brand carquest carries ?

I replaced a water pump about 2 years ago with a NAPA rebuilt unit. After 2 years and approx. 30,000 miles it's still going strong.

I believe it cost me ~$45 after the core exchange. Even came with a new gasket.

HTH

The napa New pump *lifetime* is made by Airtex... I swear by them.... they are better then the Autozoo and Advance 100% news that are GMB and ASC brands .... I would not be surprised if Airtex is the oe suppler to DC as they do supply OE parts to DC ... The Airtex part i had even had the chrysler pentagram on it so im pretty sure they are the provider but none the less its a great pump

http://www.airtexproducts.com/ is their web page they also are Nascar liciceind the only thing the last time i delt with nascar liceenced parts it was the nascar select battery exide made a few yrs back that was a hunk of junk

I replaced mine with a new one from NAPA (don't remember the exact brand) two and half years ago and have approximately 45k on it now. Its been great and I've had no problems.

I recommend putting a new thermostat in while you have the pump off. I got mine a NAPA at the same time for about ten dollars. It might save you from having to take the new pump off in the next year or two.

Yea, I got the whole shebang, pump, gasket, tstat, gasket, cap and radiator. Already had the new oem hoses and such. Guess tomorrow morning after the rad gets delivered to my customer shop. Already soaked and loosened all the bolts and nuts concerned.

On the hoses i went with the napa hoses (they are gates) i have ran both gates and goodyear and gates has the edge i use them for my belt also... but hte napa hoses have the OE style spring in the lower hose (some daycos dont) and the heat shields

MattAlpha said:
I recommend putting a new thermostat in while you have the pump off. I got mine a NAPA at the same time for about ten dollars. It might save you from having to take the new pump off in the next year or two.
You don't need to take a water pump off to replace a t-stat.

FWIW, I changed the water pump on my '89 three weeks ago and I went with OEM, as well as OEM lower rad hose, t-stat, and cap. It was only the second lower rad hose change in 280K miles, and it wasn't even leaking either.

NAPA runs Airtex as housebrand, top of the line and GMB as second string with A-1 Cardone as rebuilt. How do I know? I work there! <G>

I just did all that last night/today: a new GDI 2-row radiator, new ASC waterpump, belt, upper and lower hoses and coolant.

I'm mechanically retarded, and I didn't think it was that difficult.

Now if these GD transmission lines would stop leaking....

Back