• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade axle disconnect

muddytires

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one fabricated their own axle disconnect ,to do away with the vacuum lines? I bent the vacuum diapham on a rock, and the fork wont slide back to disconnect the axle. I was wondering if i could take it off and hook up a cable to move the fork back and forth. I know they sell a kit for this ,but didn't really want to spend $150-200 on something i could possibly make myself. Any ideas?

I think you just answered your own question. I would do a search here, but a simple solution would be to go to NAPA and buy generic choke cable ($10-15) which is just a long, cuttable cable encased in a housing and comes with a little knob you mount wherever you want. You could then rig it up to the actuating fork. I have never done this but I have rigged up a choke and I know a little about discos work.

bajacalal said:
I think you just answered your own question. I would do a search here, but a simple solution would be to go to NAPA and buy generic choke cable ($10-15) which is just a long, cuttable cable encased in a housing and comes with a little knob you mount wherever you want. You could then rig it up to the actuating fork. I have never done this but I have rigged up a choke and I know a little about discos work.
Scratch the Choke Cable, unless you like getting frustrated. Choke cables are not meant for high torque applications.

Get a PTO cable(Napa or otherwise) and it'll be pretty self-evident what to do.

Expect to pay about 30-50 bucks for a GOOD cable.

another option is to go to your local bike shop ask for a friction shifter (the kind that doesn't click), they'll know what it is. works the same way as the other two, but you can attach it to your shift lever, so it's next to your thumb. That'll make it easy hit while you're on trails, won't have to move your hand to shift in or out.... they can also cut custom lengths of cable and cover for you... hope that helps.

Get a one piece axle and plug the lines off never worry about vacuum again works like a champ on my buddies 90 xj

XJnBama said:
Get a one piece axle and plug the lines off never worry about vacuum again works like a champ on my buddies 90 xj

what about the oil? did you just put the acctuator cover back on?

Back