• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 worth Locking?

tazz

NAXJA Forum User
Like it says is it worth putting a locker into it?
And is the "Powertrax Lock-Right" a good unit?
Thanx All!
:helpme:

its only gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks. you gonna swap axles anytime soon? i would get a new carrier and some 29 spline shafts then lock it

No need to get a new carrier if you are going to add a lunch box locker, just get the 29 spline axles and locker and you're good to go.

29 spline shafts will not fit the 27 spline carrier without machining the id of the bearing journals for the larger shafts. and at that point its better to go with a detroit. The lockright is decent. but it might be ratchety in everyday driving.
a little more info about your jeep might help. year. gears, tires...
Geo said:
No need to get a new carrier if you are going to add a lunch box locker, just get the 29 spline axles and locker and you're good to go.

If you go with an auburn the carrier is replaced with the LSD unit, all you keep is the ring gear and move it over to the auburn carrier/lsd.

Ramsey said:
its only gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks. you gonna swap axles anytime soon? i would get a new carrier and some 29 spline shafts then lock it

say what ??

take it from someone who has a 27 spline
first you have to aquire 2 29 spline axles ............easy right..

not so much

the 29 spline chryco is a great axle for up to 35 " tires and people who have them can upgrade to chromoly shafts and keep the stock for spares
just in case

second
find a carrier
ya good luck

goes with what I said above

and if you can find a whole 8.25 the price is gonna be quite high for a stock axle

bolt in, strong etc.

seems like every one who has the 27 spline wants to up grade

so here are the options
1 buy a lock right and run it
carry a spare 27 spline (very easy to find)

I ran 35" bfg mt on 27 spline with the lock right
never broke nothin

2 trips to moab
moab rim
lower helldorado
and pritchet canyon

option 2

get upgraded yukon axles which accutually make the 27 spline stronger than the stock 29(per randys ring and pinion)

the carrier
and the locker

thats a lot of money

ditch the whole thing
get you and 8.8 out of an exploder 96 and above with disc brakes $275 where I live

and then lock it up

way stronger than a 29 spline and the locker is cheaper

now if you cant weld or fab

just get the Yukon axles and get a lockright for the 27 spline and call it good

Geo said:

ahh wrong

CrMo shafts do not exist for Semi float axles. CrMo does not hold up well to the bending stresses. Yukon shafts are 1541h alloy. not 4340 CrMo. 1541h is 20-25% stronger than oem 1040 alloy.
finding a carrier is not the hard part. its the cost.
I can't quote shafts but I will say that they are cheaper than an OEM D44 shaft.
the 31 spline 8.8 is not that much stronger than the 29 spline 8.25.
from experience, the 8.8 has carrier bearing issues.

Rawbrown said:
CrMo shafts do not exist for Semi float axles. CrMo does not hold up well to the bending stresses. Yukon shafts are 1541h alloy. not 4340 CrMo. 1541h is 20-25% stronger than oem 1040 alloy.
finding a carrier is not the hard part. its the cost.
I can't quote shafts but I will say that they are cheaper than an OEM D44 shaft.

ok ill go with the chromo shaft thing
Inever did check if they made em as
far as the yukons Im just quoting Randys

Axle Shaft
Jeep Cherokee Rr AXL, Spcr 44- RH XXX $50 Jack's Used Cars and Parts USA-MA(North-Billerica) Request_Quote 1-888-873-5225 Request_Insurance_Quote

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee -CHRYS (8-1/4), 3.55 RATIO--156K 156,000 P708 $200.17 Cousineau Auto Parts Inc. - QRP Partner USA-WI(Appleton) Request_Quote 1-800-642-2550 Request_Insurance_Quote

Axle Shaft
Jeep Cherokee WO ABS,4X4,4.0L,AT,RH REAR 024992 $40 John's Auto Parts USA-MN(Blaine) Request_Quote 1-800-862-4543 Request_Insurance_Quote

Carrier Case
Jeep Cherokee 3.07-3.55,NL,27SP XPS $75 D and L Truck Parts USA-OR(Junction-City) E-mail 1-800-231-2603

so ya figure

80 bucs for axles
75 fro carrier
plus shipping

or a whole set up for

200 better not ship this thing

or $275 in my town for a 8.8 with disc brakes
which is still a bit stronger than the 8.25
so I would save 250 on the purchase of the axle and then the locker is actually about 20 bucks cheaper

now you might be in a twon in the east where they are a couple hundred I would go that route

also when I asked randys about 8.25 29 spline yukons he said they wrent available

I myself am looking at the 8.8 for my rig

cause the cost is just cheaper as far as location
locker prices and gear prices

oh and btw a d44 if youi can find it in my town is about $600 :mad:

just an added note ................its all relevant whre you live
In Las Vegas a
8.25 with 29 spline is about $500
if you can find one

Last edited:
Hey,

I've got a 29 spline 8.25 with No-Slip thats brand new never installed listed in the forsale section....would make a great upgade!!! im selling entire axle or will part out.....$450.00 for entire axle with locker or $400.00 for shafts, locker, carrier w/3.55 gears etc...everything needed to upgrade to 29spline from 27. Powertrax alone costs ~$350.00. Just thought i would throw that out there....PM me or e-mail if anybody is interested!!

lincoln

"If you can find one..."

WTF?? Dude, there are tens of thousands of these. More than HALF of all the 97+ XJ's used this axle (29 spline) and they are cheap. To pay more than 200 dollars for a stock one would be ridiculous in my book.

Go to a salvage yard, pull the whole 8.25 out of a 97+ Cherokee, slap a detroit in, bolt it up. Done.

Oh... and just for the hell of it:
A 10.5" full floater 14bolt out of one of the bazillions of 73-87 chevys will already have correct width perches, they only run about 100 dollars complete, and the Detroit for it is only 375 bucks. Just a little food for thought, lol. :farmer:

Last edited:
$50 for a used d44 shaft... not bad. $75 for a used 27 spline carrier... ouch.
in vegas and your having trouble finding a used 29 spline 8.25?
you forgot to mention the cost of spring perches and shock mounts. installation. and the u-joint flange to adapt your driveshaft to the 8.8 pinion flange.
you can also pull the 27 spline carrier, drop it off at the local machine shop and have them open the bearing journals. cheaper than a new carrier considering there isn't any other difference between the two carriers.

Rawbrown said:

Concur. Only reason I swapped in a 29-spline for the 27 was the deal I got on the 29. It had the gear ratio I wanted and was in excellent shape. $175. That's cheaper than the gears/master kit I had purchased for my 27. ;)

AGAIN, I will hasta here... The 27 spline 8.25" has been around since the early 70's in various Mopar vehicles. Cars with 6-cyl engines, cars with 8-cyl (318, 360, 400 cid) engines, trucks with same, etc. Some had factory limited slip systems in them. I have owned 3 of these vehicles with V8 engines...and have TRIED to break anything on hard launches. I was not successful in doing so. I shake my head when ANYONE says 'OMG the 27 sucks, swap in the 29 parts or you'll be sorry.' Obviously the talk of inexperience. Sure they're stronger, but the 29 has only been around since the mid-90s. Good on Chrysler for updating it, but plenty of the 27s have lived just fine for more than 30 years.

Carry a spare shaft and put in the Lock Right, man. Have fun wheeling. Bigger axles than the stock Chryslers/Dana 44s aren't necessary to have a good time.

ECKSJAY said:
Carry a spare shaft and put in the Lock Right, man. Have fun wheeling. Bigger axles than the stock Chryslers/Dana 44s aren't necessary to have a good time.
That's kinda what I was looking for in a answer.
I should of given more info on my rig :doh:
But it may end up with a 3" lift and maby 31x10.50's, with most use as a daily driver with mild trail use, and I realy doubt any rock crawling.
Main Idea is mild trail and mud use onve in a while.
I just wanna have a crap load of traction so if I need it it will be there!
Also I do alot of work on summer cottage's year round with not that great of road up-keep to them and we do get alot of snow up here in the great white north:)
So good traction is a must!
I want a locker for the rear and maby a Trutrak in the front, if that sounds good?

5kezx1

8.25 27 spline Yukon axle shafts and a detroit locker..........oops :D

Actually it was totally my fault...too much wheel speed and suddenly hitting hardpacked dirt didn't help :( I still feel the set up is worth while so that is why I swapped it into my YJ and am getting ready to pop in a d60 to the XJ :D

Immortal said:
5kezx1

8.25 27 spline Yukon axle shafts and a detroit locker..........oops :D

Actually it was totally my fault...too much wheel speed and suddenly hitting hardpacked dirt didn't help :( I still feel the set up is worth while so that is why I swapped it into my YJ and am getting ready to pop in a d60 to the XJ :D
hey whatdo you think of the yokohama MT+'s?
Any good?
It's one of the tire's I'm thinking of.

I am running a Detroit in my 8.25 with 29 splines, 4:56 gears, and 33" tires. No problems yet and it hooks up really well. Have done Pritchett among other trails in Moab and some pretty rough stuff in Vernal.

Von

the shafts arent that hard to track down, i have 4 of em. you could always get some dutchmans for about 300

So the 27 spline should be good for mild trail and mudding with out way over sized tire's?
Is this what I'm hearing?
So it a ok idea to lock my 8.25, right?

for mild trails and mud locked with 31's you should be fine and even probably so w/33s but of course ymmv

Back