• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s or 35s axle stress

bad idea, unless you got 44's all around and disc brakes all around and a refabbed brake system and a reinforced steering box and, well, you get my point??? it's a lot of work to be safe. good luck.

spobi, sure that might be optimum, but not necessary. what axles do you have in the first place. for future reference, when you ask a question try not to be so broad, or at the very least give as much info as you can so we can help you

completely serious. stopping power is probably the only issue that needs to be addressed. but come on 33s, even 35s are not bad at all on stock axles if you have 297/760 joints and either a 44 or 29 spline 8.25. even locked you would be ok, especially considering he isnt out west. seen plenty of people beat on stock axles w/35s and be ok. sure some break sometime, just carry spares

edit: well this doesnt make as much sense now that your reply is gone, oh well

Last edited:
the brakes need to be upgraded, you will be putting exponentially greater stress on your dt, diffs, brakes, pads, steering, all that. i wouldn't want to stress my baby like that, but, everybodies different. good luck.

Last edited:
I have D30 front and a 44 rear with the 10X2.5" drums. inthe front I have CrMo shafts and ceramic pads. in the rear i just have the big drums. my jeep stops pretty damn good with with the 35"s. a little bit more pressure nets the same stopping results as with 33"s I drive hard and aggressive. the ceramic pads in the front do not fade after repeated hard stops. knowing how to wheel is why experienced wheelers don't break as much.

Rawbrown said:
knowing how to wheel is why experienced wheelers don't break as much.
couldnt have said it better

so if i went with a 6.5 35s u would reccommend becasue of axle stress or because there r so many other mods needed to be done just to be functional.

you have posted the same type of question in three forms. future advise. stick with one and ask multiple questions. you can run 35s on stock axles if it is (as ramsey said) 29 spline 8.25. it can be done without breaking, but be careful

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR JEEP?!?! WHAT AXLES AND TRANSFER CASE DO YOU HAVE?

The answer to these questions will go a long way towards people being able to provide you with answers. That, and liberal use of the SEARCH function. People say it alot, but it's because "How much lift for xx size tires?" is probably THE most asked question. hasta

And it's not meant to discourage you. But one of your other threads had some good advice and that was to search and read for a week, and wheel it as much as you can. Some people like 6" of lift to run 33s, other's run 35s on 4.5" of lift and trimming. Do you just want to run big tires, or do you want to run 4+ rated trails? Either way, plan on spending several hundred for 4.5" lift ($600+) several hundred more for a true SYE ($300'ish) or about 1/2 that for a hack'n'tap, as much as a couple hundred for a new rear DS or some have used a front DS in the rear... I have not looked into this option as it does not interest me.

I found all this info by searching this site, as well as other forums, and manufacturer/off road sites (RE, Rusty's, etc)

he has no xj yet. there is no need to go to 6.5" and at that high there is so many things to modify. i would keep it at 4-5" at the most and cut your fenders. at that height you can run 33's or 35s without needing to do as many things if you went to 6.5. best advice anyone can give you at this point is to just search and read and read and read and read....well you get the point.

acrid said:
bad idea, unless you got 44's all around and disc brakes all around and a refabbed brake system and a reinforced steering box and, well, you get my point??? it's a lot of work to be safe. good luck.

Really.....Lets see I run 35's on D30, D44, 4.88's Detriots. Stock brakes, granted the D44 has the larger drums, but mine seems to stop pretty darn good. No difference notice going from 33's to 35's

i second ramsey here, keep it under 5", lots to mod if you don't, and you will have to invest big $$$$$ to go over 5". start small and work your way up.... i'm runnin 31's on 5 1/2, and didn't have to make huge changes. But, I read and research for months before I bought my rig, and that's after having been around jeeps since i was a kid. btw, you get 1" of extra ground clearance between 31's and 33's, 2" of ground clearance between 31's and 35's, so the question is what are you REALLY going to do with your jeep, MOST of the time..... i'd start with 31's a 3 -1/2" lift and go from there.

i really think all you need to do is slow down a little, read this forum, search, ask if you don't understand, make sure you get a good base jeep to start working up from, i.e., know your axles, drivetrain, engine, blah blah blah... it won't do any good to get a clean jeep with d35 rear end... narrow your search on your next XJ to have the right parts to build up, so you don't have to waste money replacing parts that are too weak. Go on some trail rides with your local jeepers, and get some hands on experience. ask your local 4x4 shops what works and what doesn't.... they know from experience, bcuz they're always fixing the junk that doesn't work right.

p.s. try to keep all your ?'s organized to a few posts.... it'll help everyone here help you....

i think you need to take a bit of your own advice here and read a little more before answering some of these questions
acrid said:
i second ramsey here, keep it under 5", lots to mod if you don't, and you will have to invest big $$$$$ to go over 5". start small and work your way up.... i'm runnin 31's on 5 1/2, and didn't have to make huge changes. But, I read and research for months before I bought my rig, and that's after having been around jeeps since i was a kid. btw, you get 1" of extra ground clearance between 31's and 33's, 2" of ground clearance between 31's and 35's, so the question is what are you REALLY going to do with your jeep, MOST of the time..... i'd start with 31's a 3 -1/2" lift and go from there.

i really think all you need to do is slow down a little, read this forum, search, ask if you don't understand, make sure you get a good base jeep to start working up from, i.e., know your axles, drivetrain, engine, blah blah blah... it won't do any good to get a clean jeep with d35 rear end... narrow your search on your next XJ to have the right parts to build up, so you don't have to waste money replacing parts that are too weak. Go on some trail rides with your local jeepers, and get some hands on experience. ask your local 4x4 shops what works and what doesn't.... they know from experience, bcuz they're always fixing the junk that doesn't work right.

p.s. try to keep all your ?'s organized to a few posts.... it'll help everyone here help you....

sorry, obviously i haven't been here long enough to give advice, I will remove myself from this thread as I am not here to cause problems....

thanks.

Last edited:
your running 31's how could you possibly know. running 33s on steel wheels with stock brakes and it works fine. could it be better? sure but it is fine as it is. once i jump to 35's i plan on swapping to rear discs

edit: doh you and your editing

no length of time is needed to give advice, just make sure you know what your talking about

thanks ive been lookin for a month now and my buddy just told me to join this forum. I am goin to look at a jeep 2day how do i know the difference between the axles. lastly ill keep looking however this is goin to my be my only vehicle and its a daily driver . no real hard wheelin and not extremely often. just want to be capable. thanks for the insite mac

Back