• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one of these "while i'm at it" cases - need opinions

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
I will be replacing both of the ujoints on the front axles, what else should i replace while im at it? also my second question is, what type of ujoints last longest? should i use chrysler steelership u joints..? I think Dana or Spicer would be the best...?

Check the ball joints, the inner seals for the axles, PITA, but while your at it. mine are 188K old and still good, but pulling axles can demo them if not careful.

Depends on what year XJ you have. If you have a pre-95, you probably have 260 u-joints (unless you have ABS). Post-95 use the 297 (or 760) u-joint. Measure the caps...260 is about 1 1/16"...297/760 are about 1 3/16".

And definitely get Spicer. I just went to NAPA today to get a 260 u-joint for a spare shaft I have laying around. This NAPA doesn't sell Spicer anymore. So what the hell...I just bought what they had, which was GMB (made in Japan).

Got the u-joint into the inner shaft, but the outer just will not go on. GMB is pure evil. Same thing happened a few weeks ago with my 297 shafts. Bought a no-name 297, because that was the only thing available where I was broken down. Could not get the sucker on. Came home and the Spicer went on with no problems.

98 4L auto, i do ocassional offroading, 150k kms. When i drive and steer just a fraction, higher speeds - there is a sound coming from my left one, my mechanic warned me about that two weeks ago and said it was going. I had to replace these on my 95 YJ few years ago, and remember it took a while, is removing axles neccessary? or can it be done on the car?

If it requires removal of axles, i will change the seals, and dusto covers

Last edited:
Yes, removal of the axle shafts is necessary. It really is a piece of cake...if you have the right parts :laugh3:

You have the 297/760 u-joints on your 98. And...what dust covers?

isnt there like two round flat-type dust covers? thats a D30 right? same as my YJ.

You mean dust caps that cover the axle nut? Never seen them on an XJ. But I could be wrong...

im 99% sure i saw these on mine... will check tommorow, right now its too dark:p

What about aftermarket ones? like OX or some other stuff? Im pretty sure the u joints on my SYE kit from TW are fu**ed. I rode for few months without shims, and it was noisy. Now i have 4* ones, but i think thats too much as my AAL sagged like 80 year old ti*s. Will buy 4" leafpacks now. CTM i think is another name...

I believe that CTM joints use full circle clips, so they are only for use with alloy axles, not with stock shafts.

I think OX joints will work with stock shafts, but why would you want to spend so much money? For your described use, you're probably better off with Spicer 760 joints.

Now for DS u-joints, you'll need the Spicer 153.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58005

Last edited:
xjohnnyc said:
I believe that CTM joints use full circle clips, so they are only for use with alloy axles, not with stock shafts.

I think OX joints will work with stock shafts, but why would you want to spend so much money? For your described use, you're probably better off with Spicer 760 joints.

Now for DS u-joints, you'll need the Spicer 153.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58005
Yeah I don't think you'd want to drop all the money on putting an OX into a stock shaft.
Coming back to full circle clips: you can machine your shafts to take full circle clips or as an alternative you can have someone tack (weld) the caps for you in a "mercedes" pattern :D

well, i have a u-joint-paranoia after owning a YJ without SYE and some lift and extreme offroading and daily driving. Also my 98 is a mint condition vehicle, and i said to myself NO VIBES, so i will do everythign to get rid of these:)

Back