• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case drop, vibe in front

Incorrect pinion angle.

theschwarz1 said:
dirk, I know this has been posted somewhere inthe great ocean of driveline posts, but is it easy to fix? I will search for "pinion angle"
Thanks

Easy to adjust if you have adjustable uppers or lowers.

If not you might get away with alignment shims.

A quick fix would be to remove the front shaft while not wheeling.

theschwarz1 said:
well I dont have adjustables, and I had an alignment, which by the way, I STILL have to steer slightly to the left
Shims? Where? in the front?

Alignment shops pay no mind to pinion angles, they are concerned with caster. They use shims behind the LCA frame mount to adjust the caster. You can use them to correct the pinion angle by either adding or subtracting shims.

You can either point the pinion at the t-case output and ignore caster or compromise and get the pinion close while keeping the caster close to spec.

Well, I pulled the front drive shaft Sat morning and WHALAH! The smoothest ride ever! In pullingthe shaft, one of the caps the front U-joint fell right off and there were neeldles everywhere! I geuss I need to replace somne u-joints. I am sure its due time anyways. THanks for your help dirk. I'll try the shim method.
I looked at my LCA's th3e other day to see what you were talking about and I saw one shim behind the LCA right where it attaches to the bracket. I geuss I should add more till the vibe is gone....?

I would first re-build the shaft and then see if the vibes are gone. Have done a couple for others so far and both times their vibes disappeared. I have a write up that will help you too on the whole alignment. www.go.jeep-xj.info

theschwarz1 said:
3"
np231??? Its automatic ..........V6 4.0 HO
FYI - unless you've installed a Ford Explorer engine it's a 4.0L I-6 (inline, not V)

Back