• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear install write ups

Drunk tank

NAXJA Forum User
Do you all know of any gear instal write ups for a dana 30 or a 8.25?

I just ordered 4.56 yukon gears for my junk, both the master kits and a nice shinny power trax no slip for the rear (and the new carrier for the front).

Figure since I've never done this before it would be nice to read some good write ups and at least be some what prepped do do this junk.

Any help is appreciated... never screwed with gears and lockers before

what is your mechanical aptitude?
Drunk tank said:
Do you all know of any gear instal write ups for a dana 30 or a 8.25?

I just ordered 4.56 yukon gears for my junk, both the master kits and a nice shinny power trax no slip for the rear (and the new carrier for the front).

Figure since I've never done this before it would be nice to read some good write ups and at least be some what prepped do do this junk.

Any help is appreciated... never screwed with gears and lockers before

Rawbrown said:
what is your mechanical aptitude?

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give myself a firm 7-8 :D

I'm good with my hands... just never fiddled with this stuff before. Hell, never even had to pull a shaft yet on my XJ (cant be much different than my old suburban though) Only way to llearn how to do it though is to actually do it. :) When ya think about it.... its nothing more than a bunch of nuts and bolts. Lots of these bolts just have to be torqued. and the gears just have to be positioned right so they contact correctly.

Im guessing I'll pull them in and out a good 5-6 times before I get the right pattern.

HA! Anyone in the area wanna come and join? I have to be able to drive this bitch on monday.

Im planning on doing the front first since its under power alot less than the rear and also, if it ends up taking me along time and cant start the rear... I can still drive to work (just take the front shaft off)

Edit: Anyone know of shop in the Orange county area that does this crap? How much do you suspect it would cost to have them installed? Never check your work email unless you want to have dreams of free weekends to work on your junk from now till the 4th of july shot down. :mad: :mad: :mad:

:(

Last edited:
You need special tools. I'd have someone do it right.

Rawbrown in Encinitas or Clean-RC in Huntington Beach (he did mine).

Back