• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tip on replacing rear quarter glass

theschwarz1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I finally went to the junk yard to get a rear quarter glass for the one I broke installing my lift.....I know I know, It would only happen to me and its a long story! :banghead:
I will post pictures after I go get more glass......I'll explain that here too.

Ok, so I looked on MADXJ's sight first and got some good ideas, then I got tired of having a trash bag taped in the window. SO I called the local junkyards and got one to give me the rear quarter glass for $35 if I get it out. SOLD!
SO I took along with me a few shims and two spackle knives....one 10" and one 6" (I ended up using the 6" more) I Have a 92 XJ and was not sure which years would be compatible. THearliest I could find was a 96, so I started in on it.
First, I took my 6" spackle knife and started on the bottom inside of the window. Slipping the knife edge between the glass and rubber until you see the knife edge stick out on the outside. Once you hve this then take a wood shim and slip it between the knife and the window unitl it is sticking outside past the rubber lip. Do this a few times across the bottom till you have about 5 shims sticking through evenly spaced apart. Then start working up one side doing the same thing. You might want to slice the outside corners of the rubber to encourage the glass out, but it is possible to not do this and still get the window out. It will just take a bit more effort.
I got two shims through the side and I began peeling the outsid rubber lip back and pushing the window out from the inside with my hand....gently.
At this point, the window will easily come out.

Now, this took me all of about 20 minutes!!! I wasn't expecting it to be so easy! It was 4:30 so I figuered I should start on anothe rjeep with tinted windows! THen I heard that the guy was gonna close the gate so I took the glass and made a deal that if I came back on saturday, gave him the glass back and paid $5 more he would let me tak 2 tinted windows!

So I took the glass back home and started installing. I placed the rubber seal around the opening in the xj and pressed the top edge of the glass into place in the opening. Then I worked the rubber I tilted the glass so that I woul get the top edge and one side in the rubber groove and lifted it up into place as best I could, then I started working the rubber lip so that it came out around the glass. I did this starting from the top.
Now, as you do this the ruber may pul out of its place on the metal lip on the jeep, its ok. As you get more of the window in the rubber grrove then start with the spackle knife pushing fom the outside in between the rubber and body of the jeep. By doing this you want to catch the rubber lip that is supposed to fit over the metal edge and push it up so it will seat....if that makes sense. ( Iwill post pics of this Monday). Once you get a good section started, you can use your finger tips to pull the rest over the metal edge, except maybe for the cornes, youll need the spackle knife.
I suggest getting th corners in place efore you finish getting a whole edge nearly done.
Well I hope this made sense. Like I said I will post pics!

take a small diameter rope and put it in the groove of the window gasket all the way around and leave a length hanging out from each end and then throw the ends in the car..

have a friend push the window in gently while you pull the rope from inside the jeep.. it will pull the lip of the gasket into the inside of the window frame and then it just takes some pushing on the gasket to get it properly seated..I did this with my back window that I accidentally popped out carrying 33's in the trunk..

Took about 3 minutes total to get it back in..

Something to lube the rope helps also. I've use a little (very little) dishwashing soap and it makes it go in easiers and washes right off.
Good Wheelin' to ya,
Cherokid

Back